mcintosh car amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bospet40 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
fuster wrote:
I am shocked that this thread made two pages. Bridging this amplifier for the intended purpose is not going to net anything significant in terms of enjoyable listening. As others state, this amplifier is already built to drive speakers easily without any bridging of channels.
I felt the same way with bridging amps but thought being a Mcintosh there wouldn't be that much of a difference. So I went with 2 Mcc302's instead of 1 Mcc404.
I understand the mcc404 can drive the speakers but I wanted more power to compliment my speakers. There is reasons why they makes different wattage amps, in case you didn't know.
Don't know what the problem is yet... but I know what it's not.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
fuster wrote:
I am shocked that this thread made two pages.
that is what discussions are for, so you can ask a question and get multiple opinions so you can make a more informed decision.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
cool stuff man, im surprised you can find the space in that car for all of it. the reason for saying that its a shame to bridge that amp is the same reason that its a shame when someone has a supercar and never drives faster than the speed limit. the clarity of those amps are why people pay so much for them and most wouldnt willingly sacrifice the clarity for some extra power. those Mcintosh amps are superamps, i honestly dont know if there is anything better, so it would be a shame to not run it as clean as possible. the gain you would see from an extra 50 watts might only be barely noticable and usually will only benefit you in the lower frequency ranges because they use more power to recreate those low notes.
higher frequencies dont require that amount of power, just because the speaker is rated for 200W doesnt mean that it will draw that much power from the amp because higher frequencies usually present a higher ohm load to the amp and thus you might be getting 90W with a dynamic range of 200W on peaks. this is one of the reasons why crossovers are necessary to keep speakers alive and distortion free. even though your amp is prepared to give out 200W RMS, the actual power at any given time is still resistance based and a speaker's resistance is always going up and down with different frequencies.
this is why you wont really hear a difference with the extra 50W because you are still not getting 50W all of the time. you might notice certain effects like like a low drum hit become more pronounced but thats assuming the sub doesnt take over those notes as well and then you wouldnt notice the difference
S&S, I'm almost done with the install. I'm waiting on 1 more MCC302. Here are some photos.
mcintosh car amp - Page 3 -- posted image.mcintosh car amp - Page 3 -- posted image.mcintosh car amp - Page 3 -- posted image.mcintosh car amp - Page 3 -- posted image.mcintosh car amp - Page 3 -- posted image.mcintosh car amp - Page 3 -- posted image.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
that is a very interesting install. it must sound pretty nice already, that pioneer has a self tuning EQ doesnt it? or is it the older one that only had a stereo 16 band and you had to set it yourself? either way its a nice install...so many wires and distribution blocks. i really would have ran a dedicated wire to each amp instead of using distribution blocks. and then mounting an amp to the truck in my opinion is just not a smart idea for many reasons, one being that your ground has to be very long and the amp will be vibrated to death from being on the trunk lid with the bass hitting. if it was just a regular amp i wouldnt have said anything to you but im sure you would rather not lose an expensive amp for such a minor reason as being mounted to the trunk lid.
speakers look pretty insane too, are you running the front as a true 3-way system or are the two door speakers tied together?
what kind of RCA's are those?
it sucks man, all of your pictures remind me of how long its been since ive heard my own sound. my 4 channel just died recently and im looking for a new amp so i can have sound again, wish i could get my hands on just one of those amps. ill have enough money soon enough to buy a good amp but until then im dying slowly inside from lack of sound.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
that is a very interesting install. it must sound pretty nice already, that pioneer has a self tuning EQ doesnt it? or is it the older one that only had a stereo 16 band and you had to set it yourself? either way its a nice install...so many wires and distribution blocks. i really would have ran a dedicated wire to each amp instead of using distribution blocks. and then mounting an amp to the truck in my opinion is just not a smart idea for many reasons, one being that your ground has to be very long and the amp will be vibrated to death from being on the trunk lid with the bass hitting. if it was just a regular amp i wouldnt have said anything to you but im sure you would rather not lose an expensive amp for such a minor reason as being mounted to the trunk lid.
speakers look pretty insane too, are you running the front as a true 3-way system or are the two door speakers tied together?
what kind of RCA's are those?
it sucks man, all of your pictures remind me of how long its been since ive heard my own sound. my 4 channel just died recently and im looking for a new amp so i can have sound again, wish i could get my hands on just one of those amps. ill have enough money soon enough to buy a good amp but until then im dying slowly inside from lack of sound.
No that is Poineers newest Dex P99rs with 31 band. I'm using the best of the best, lol. The wires alone are oven $1500. And I ran 0 gauge from the battery all the way to the trunk than ran maybe 3 feet max of 4 gauge to the amps plus each amp has it's own cap. The distribution blocks were the best way to go for me. It's not operational yet as im waiting for the other amp to come. Also, I'm doing a top end rebuild on the engine to freshen it up for the summer.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
As far as the trunk mount. it's not going anywhere. It can be installed upside down also the ground is ran 0 gauge to the back as well, there will be no ground problems.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
RCa's are monster cables beyond extreme M1001XLN their best. Dyn's have their own channel as do the JBLs.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
i guess i should have clarified the 3-way question, i was asking if they are running as a true 3 way component system, meaning that they all must be crossed over to blend in with each other and that they dont play the same audio as the others. if they are all running on the same audio signal then it isnt a real 3 way system.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes its a true 3 way.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
neato, i hope it sounds as good as it should
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic