icon

tablet, hdmi to rca visors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 10" super pad tablet and it has a HDMI out and I want to connect the tablet to two 12" sunvisors but they are rca connection. so am I going to need an expensive adapter or something.right nnow I have a HDMI adapter cable where its male HDMI and goes to rgb rca but the tablet isn't reading the signal and the visor remains no signal
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
Those cables do not convert, they are used to attach an HDMI device with inbuilt composite (RCA) or RGB (VGA etc) conversion.
It's probably cheaper buying new monitors.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I figured since HDMI transfer a/v and the analog only does video
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the cable can split that, but it's the conversion that is also required.
I found the ads for those cables confusing.
Though HDMI to RCA & RGB converters are still often well over $100, there are those for around $50. Drop their enclosure and it's easy to see how cable-integrated converters would sell for under $10.
Hence the importance of good descriptions in their copy.
If an ad says HDMI to 3RCA&VGA Converter Adapter Cable, why does it add the superfluous Converter if it does not convert the signal? (Oh, but it "converts the connectors". In that case, what does the "Adapter" do?)
Some sites do the right thing and clarify that it is ONLY an adaptor or interface cable and not a signal convertor - ie, it is to connect an already converted HDMI outlet to composite or RGB.
But I would expect to get the full "conversion" from some sites - they have nothing to suggest that they are not the converter their name includes.
Others sell because even though conversion isn't mentioned, some buyers won't understand the technical limits.
It is probably only the cable price atm that differentiates, but that's only because HDMI interfacing is still in its introductory and fad phase. Price is often not an indicator of sophistication. (LOL - I see 4-way HDMI, RCA, s-vid, comp etc mechanical selector boxes cost more than their remote-controlled electronic counterparts.)   
But what of the HDMI "converter" cable I saw for $15-$20? That could be a $50-$100 converter in a cable.
But is it?
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I noticed too I purchased a 8 cord claiming to do the same but then it said I might need another convertor which required a power source . Completely misleading
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
It saying you "might" need another convertor is the giveaway, NOT that I expect "normal consumers" to understand that, nor us unless we know of video etc conversion issues.
Down here I'd suggest (say...) that if the name included "converter" then it shall do that, else be refundable (unless its limitations and exceptions were made "reasonably clear to a reasonable buyer).
Not that people go to too much effort on such buys, but it is a nice fallback.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2013 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ya I might just need another I'm going to plug the tablet into another HDMI connection and see what I get. But if I can find some 12 HDMI sunvisors that would be sweet
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
HDMI is digital, RCA is analog. You need a proper converter, like this one. I don't know if you can power this from 12V or not... Also be aware that not all HDMI can be converted to analog: the law allows manufacturers and content providers to block this if they choose because they don't want high-definition digital files converted to high definition analog.
Support the12volt.com
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
I wonder how the law and the providers expect to stop them. (Not provide HDMI outputs?)
There are lots of converters from $50 upwards and most are powered from plugpacks so the usual adaptation to automotive 12V systems apply.
Conversion quality is an issue but probably not for composite monitors.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
I wonder how the law and the providers expect to stop them. (Not provide HDMI outputs?)
Stopping it is simple with any HDMI system that is HDCP/AACS compliant. All that's required is for the content owners to turn on a copy protection flag in the digital encoding. Then max analog resolution is 480i/576i depending on which system you're on.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic