icon

damaged premium sound amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marlon stjulien 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2006 Chrysler 300 with no sound. Premium sound amp is damaged. Can I bypass or what should I do
Saint
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
if you still have a totally factory system then no you cant bypass the factory amp. the factory radio will only provide a signal source without any real power, not only that but the volume control is designed to only turn the amp up with a data signal, which means that you cant even use a line output converter on the factory radio if you were planning on just replacing the amp with an aftermarket one.
honestly, the cheapest option i think you have would be to replace the factory radio, if you havent already, and run all new speaker wire to each speaker. you should still use the factory integration harness so that you can keep the CAN data loop intact for diagnostic purposes and to save yourself the task of running a wire to ignition to turn on the aftermarket radio.
the only real problem you would run into by doing this is because there will be more speakers than your radio will support, i believe the 300 has 3 speakers on the dash, left, right and center. it might take some creativity to make them play correctly because they definitely dont play a full range audio signal, they are filtered by the factory amp so that they play only what they are designed to play. making those speakers play correctly will require another amplifier and maybe an outboard crossover.
with all of those extra's in mind, you might be better off either re-wiring the whole system to an aftermarket setup or maybe even just replacing the factory amp. i know the factory amp might be expensive but with the amount of work involved with converting the system to aftermarket it still might be your cheapest route
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

I agree with s&s that replacing the factory amp may be the cheapest short term option, but the problem is that the factory parts will never be built with the same quality you can get aftermarket. Now there are plenty of aftermarket parts made even more cheaply than stock parts. Do research, shop around and you can get high quality aftermarket stuff for a decent price.

Keep in mind that the stock amp went out for a reason. That reason may still exist even with a new factory amp, and can eventually burn out that one too.

I feel it is always a better investment to upgrade to quality aftermarket equipment than to invest in the same old stock stuff. If the stock amp lasted 5 years are you even going to be able to buy that same old stock stuff in another 5 years? Do the work for the aftermarket stuff and you will also make it easier to change out in the future should the need/want arrise.

Stock equipment - easier and cheaper short term

Aftermarket equipment - more difficult and more expensive up front, but future proof's your vehicle a little, and usually ends up sounding better.

I always caution people in this scenario that aftermarket speakers are designed to be part of an aftermarket system, so it may not have the bass response you expect from the current system! damaged premium sound amp -- posted image.

Just my $0.02

To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
scoobyxj 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
You can also go to the junk yard and find a factory replacement. FWIW there are probably more than one Chrysler vehicle that used that amp and they could probably cross reference and find you what you need.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic