icon

fiberglass console box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
siddhi 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have just a couple of questions regarding a rear center console box I am about to start for my 2006 F150 screw. I have a single JL 13.5W7 that I am planning a ported box for. I have built plenty of sub enclosures in the past, but this will be my first fiberglass box. I have worked with fiberglass for years in the boat industry so I am also very familiar the application.
My questions are regarding the fiberglass to MDF mounting rings for mounting the W7. Normally for these subs I double up the 3/4" MDf because I have had a few baffles break with just one single baffle. How is the best way to beef up the connection of wood and fiberglass? Is there a concern with the wood and fiberglass separating? I plan to fire the W7 up and towards the front of the truck so most of the weight will be downward. I know these subs generate a large amount pressure in the box so I want to try and figure out any gotchas before I build it. My plan is for a 2.4ft/3 tuned to 34hz. I also plan to beef up the box with bi-axle matte for strength to help thwart the pressure.
I welcome any help or advise.
Thanks,
-Sid
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
i think the best thing to do is build as much of the box out of wood as possible and use as many layers of glass as possible, especially around the ring. if you want to take some of the weight of the sub off of the box then you can mount the ring with solid pieces of MDF from underneath and secure it to the bottom of the box. and you should double layer the ring too and maybe make it a little wider than you would normally make one then sand the edges to make then round off. build up layers of glass directly around the ring, maybe use some kitty hair fiberglass to make the most out of the sharp corners around the ring and go over that with a few layers of mat.
on a side note, 2.4 cubic feet for a ported box for a 13.5W7? seems really small to me. im going off of the fact that a 13W7 is basically a 15" sub woofer as far as cone area is concerned. what are the dimensions of your actual port because aside from building the box strong you definitely want it to sound good or else you are wasting your time and money.
siddhi 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks soundnsecurity for the help. I will definitely look into your advice. As far as the ported box size that is the recommended size from JL. I agree that to me the box seems small. The last box I had two of them in was a 17ft/3 6th order bandpass in my 1999 f150 with a blow threw. So I am use to much much larger sizes. BTY I pulled a 157.3 db on the meter at a DB drag here locally. In 1-2 under the jam. I powered it with 2 Kicker KX-1200 running at 3/4 ohm. Those amps worked forever at 3/4 ohm until the truck got totaled. Surprised me.
-Sid

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic