icon

sub box math, am i doing it right?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ncc74656 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
k, well i plan to start building this box some time this coming week. im picking up a new amp for my mids/highs tonight so with luck the sub wont over power everything...
i was thinking of using a sealed sub in my truck tomororw to find the optimal HZ that my cab resonates at and then tuning my sub box to that frequency. does that make since? is it worth doing?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
na, if you want to measure the resonance of your cabin then you need to use a source with a known response so that you have something to compare it to. the sub woofer and box will have its own resonance peaks and you need to know which peaks came from which source.
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
ok, here it is. a fully built and reenforced box as i intend to build it. only missing routered edges and fiber glass in the cornors. what do we think of this guy? is it ready to build?
album of design
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
ncc74656 wrote:
ok, here it is. a fully built and reenforced box as i intend to build it. only missing routered edges and fiber glass in the cornors. what do we think of this guy? is it ready to build?
album of design
Dead link... No workie...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
i just clicked it and it worked fine for me. ill post it again here:
https://imgur.com//a/Qgmbk#0
https://imgur.com//a/Qgmbk#0
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
That bracing is certainly better than none at all, but seriously... BRACE IT! Did you see the way I brace a 10" driver?!? You're using a MUCH larger driver, and a vented enclosure to boot! More bracing. Seriously. More.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
I have no idea why your copy/paste process is adding additional slashes, but it is... Here's what he's trying to show...
::::EDIT::::
Never mind... the servers are filtering the address... Copy and paste this:
https://imgur.com/a/Qgmbk#0
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Here are a few examples of bracing, most of it proper. Linky And as you scroll down, you'll see a few examples of very poor bracing, especially the carpet-covered pre-fab enclosures with none at all. Those are certain to disappoint.
Support the12volt.com
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so is the dynamics of air flow over the bracing an issue? it looks like nearly half of the space in the box is taken up by "bracing" what if i used steel mounted to the sides of the box instead of wood. i would need less of it to obtain the same rigidity right?
im just worried that ill have to double the size of the box seeing as id be taking up what seems to be close to 35% of its volume by wood. at that rate id be at 5.2 cubic feet instead of 8...
haemphyst 
Posted: February 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
At the frequencies you'll be running, no. Air flow will be no issue at all. As far as using steel vs. wood? Ummm... Never tried that, but I can't say it wouldn't work. All you are really looking for is rigidity. Honestly, though...? I'm betting you'll see that if you use a space-frame like the pics are all showing, you'll be displacing FAR less than you think.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic