the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

dead amp, need new recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
true it is lower i dont know what made me think that i saw .07%. the probem with the JL is that im working with a pretty tight power range since im not using any passive crossovers on my components. i need enough power for my mids which seems to be around 100W but not enough power to blow my tweeters so 50W is a good number. mids are 4 ohm and tweeters are 8 ohms so they use half of the power of the mids. this is where i feel safe with these speakers. i think having the extra wattage from a 150 x 4 amp could be too much.
i am cautious mainly because i cant replace these speakers and also because i am using a very low crossover point on my tweeters and that already makes them more susceptible to damage.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
What's the tweeter?
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
well when it rains it pours, hails to be exact, huge hail storm past over my house last night showering my truck with golf ball sized hail. need a new hood and roof thats for sure.
tweeter and mid are both diamond audio HEX Pro(old D9) series components. the mid wants 150 and the tweeter is rated for half of that but what im not sure of is the factory crossover point because they dont really give me the frequency range specs of the tweeter.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I recommend using the passive crossovers supplied by Diamond as they include Zobel networks and level matching resisters; they are not just straight crossovers they are customized for those drivers. If I recall correctly I think they cross the 2-way set at 4000Hz.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
honestly if i had the space to put them somewhere i would use them but each crossover is only slightly smaller than the alpine PDX i had. they even look like amps too. if their crossover point is set at 4000Hz then im way too low, i have mine set at 2000Hz, the way i came to that number is by listening to them as i turned the crossover point down, arouns 2000Hz is where they really started to sound good. anything higher sounded incomplete. as of now they dont struggle to handle the lower frequencies but i am well aware of the dangers. i think they rated the tweeters low frequency response limit was around 1500Hz.
DYohn 
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
No place to put them? An installer can ALWAYS find a place! dead amp, need new recommendations - Page 2 -- posted image. Under the dash? Under a seat? In the glove box? In the center console? I think you'd really be better off by finding a way.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
funny, i guess i can possibly find a spot for them, id definitely have to split them up and put them in different spots. strange how you read all the time that going to a full active setup is better and then when you finally do it now im advised to go back. i might do it some day but for now i like playing with my settings too much to stick with the passive crossovers if i dont have to.
DYohn 
Posted: February 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I'm not one of those who advocates for a full-active setup. You get better overall system efficiency and IMO better sound using a properly designed passive Xover network. But then again, I am biased since I used to make a living designing them. dead amp, need new recommendations - Page 2 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 01, 2013 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
so, i installed a Crossfire BMF600.4 today because i just couldnt take it anymore. i realized very quickly that this is a pretty nice amp. its hard to tell the difference between the crossfire and the alpine as far as quality and sound are concerned. there IS a difference but i cant quite put my finger on what it is. the difference might be just from the switch from a class D amp to an old fashioned class A/B
one thing i did notice was the increase in raw power, the mids vibrate my doors much more than the alpine did even though they are supposed to be close in power. the crossfire is rated at 75 watts X 4 at 4 ohms and that is the 12v rating. at 14.4 volts it should give around 100 watts. i adjusted the gain half way and its louder than the alpine with the max volume being achieved at a few volume notches below where i would turn the system up to with the alpine.
they dont print the distortion measurements on these amps for some reason and i cant get a straight answer from them yet directly but i can say that the sound quality is there. with the alpine i felt that the high frequencies were being over amplified and with this crossfire amp the sound is a little more balanced. maybe the dampening factor on the crossfire is better but i dont think ill ever know for sure. i can say this though, the distortion rating for the lower model crossfire 4 channels is .08% so i would expect this amp to be a little better considering its almost three times the price.
the one problem i can say is that the amp is much bigger than the PDX amp, i had a hard time getting it under my seat where my wires were already ran.
i think ill open the PDX and see if i can fix what is wrong with it. from the smell of things i think it could be an exploded capacitor inside so maybe an easy fix and ill run my rear speakers on it.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 01, 2013 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Well, I'm not one of those who advocates for a full-active setup. You get better overall system efficiency and IMO better sound using a properly designed passive Xover network. But then again, I am biased since I used to make a living designing them. dead amp, need new recommendations - Page 2 -- posted image.
so is there any particular reason why you would prefer a passive VS an active crossover? ive always read and understood it to be better to filter the signal than the actual speaker. this way you dont have to worry about special interactions between the speaker and the crossover. although a well designed crossover will minimize these effects or take advantage of them to make the speaker sound better.
not only that but you are limited to the set crossover point.
i understand that these particular crossovers are built to be awesome and probably the most elaborate crossovers ive ever seen but im talking about any typical situation.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic