icon

11 sportage, python 1401, fortin evo can

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marc22 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

Let me start with a quick intro. I have never tried anything like this before, much more of a mechanical type than electronic.  I can do the physical work but can't figure out the correct connections needed.

I have a 2011 Kia Sportage with PTS.  I am attempting to install a Python 1401 remote start with a Fortin Evo-Can.  I THINK I've figured out about 83% of the conections, but if I don't know one they rest aren't going to help me!

I have the wire reference guide for the 1401, the wiring confuguration manual for the Fortin, and the wire info printout for the Sportage.  So I think I have all the information but I'm not  sure how to read it.  I saw an install guide on the non PTS in the forums but didn't think it would be enough to help me.

Is there someplace I'm missing that basically labels connections down the list?  

Just barely smart enough to make it broken.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

To answer your question, No.  There is no definitive "cook-book" guide that will list each wire connection from any

specific brand / model remote start system to any specific brand / model bypass module to any specific year / make
/ model vehicle.  Too many choice and permutations to deal with.  That's why the professional 12 volt installer gets
paid the big bucks.  11 sportage, python 1401, fortin evo can -- posted image.

All you will find is the installation guide for your Python system :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=1183

or https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=1184

The install guide for your bypass module for your specific vehicle :  https://ifar.ca/download/3915/preview.html

Actually the EVO-ALL is a slightly better choice if you can switch.

And some basic wiring guide lists for your vehicle :  http://www.readyremote.com/main.asp?make=Kia

In the case of a 2011 KIA Sportage with PTS using an EVO-CAN bypass module the Fortin install guide pretty much lists

most everything for you.  I would suggest going W2W, making all shown connections "hard-wired".   There will be many
un-used wires and others not listed in the EVO-CAN diagram are necessary and / or optional ( ie. the Python's Horn, Brake,
Tach, NSS and optional AUX wires )

Putting it all together is the installers responsibility.  There are many very knowledgeable installers on this forum that can

assist you in your effort.  The best way is to make up a chart with all the Pythons connectors / wires listed and where you
believe they should be connected.  Same for the EVO-CAN.  Post that and ask for corrections, input and advice.

There is a big learning curve and Directed does not help with all of their unique terminology.

Soldering is fun!
marc22 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

That extended installation guide looks like it will get me further than what I had.  I'll read through it before I ask any more questions.

I bought the Fortin Bypass on Ebay expecting it to be the Evo-All.  (They described it as the Evo-All, but the picture was of the Evo-Can)  I already downloaded the install instruction for that from the Fortin website so I think I'm all set there.

I called 5 different installers in Flint, MIchigan and NONE of them would install a stater on a PTS Kia. None of them had ever even heard of Fortin.  I actually started this whole process because I have a 2011 Kia Optima PTS that I saw set up with a relay on the lock switch to start using the factory key fob (press the lock button 2x's to start) and I want to do the same to mine.  But I've spent way too much money on my car to get that past the Financial Review Board (my wife) without doing it to her Sportage first.

Thank you for all the information links, Kreg357. Hopefully it get's me headed down the correcy road!

kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Amazing!  Fortin is one of the top two brands in bypass modules and a very effective solution for the PTS KIA's.  Keep us posted.
Soldering is fun!
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
When you bought the EVO, did they flash it with the correct firmware for you? Without the firmware, the bypass is essentially useless.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
marc22 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

I knew there were firmware versions but didn't think that it was on a car by car basis anymore? (he said noobily)

I just saw that the Evo-Can page said my car required firmware version "2.12 and more" and the unit was labeled "4.0" so I thought I was all set there.  Am I going to need a Flash Link to make it work?

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
No you are set with the version you have. No further programming is required until you get it intsalled.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
kreg357 
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
No.  All Fortin bypass modules come from the factory flashed with the latest firmware.  If yours is a recent one the H/W and S/W versions should be adequate for your install.  If you wanted to connect it to a Directed remote start unit via D2D, you could re-flash it with the DBI D2D firmware, but if you go W2W, everything is OK.
Soldering is fun!
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry, it's been a long day. I forgot that the Evo modules only needed the updated firmware version, not vehicle specific firmware. My apologies for the mis-information.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
PTS KIAS are easy Why will no one help you ? Probably because you have your own unit and they dont want to deal with it if it doesnt work.
Just call them and act like a new customer and see if they will do it?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic