icon

mixing brands of mid/highs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ncc74656 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2013 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
i was going to buy 2 alpine 6.5" sets to put in my door however would these be better?
http://store.crescendoaudio.com/pwx-10-mid-range/
i was thinking of just 1 per door and then leave the alpine tweeters. the 10's would get louder than 2 6.5 alpines no?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2013 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
That's not a mid. That's a woofer with an extended high-frequency response. It'll PLAY that specified 4.8k, but it'll: 1, sound like crap, and 2, do it ONLY if your ear is DIRECTLY in front of it, and I do mean DIRECTLY in front of it. Will it be louder? Possibly. Will it sound better? Never. In a car, you're simply not enough in front of any of your speakers to allow a 10" driver to go to that frequency.
It's a PA mid, really. Don't try to put it in your car.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2013 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
i want to clarify my understanding of all this. subs take sub sonic audio say 100hz and under, mids take 80-2KH ish for mid audio and then tweeters take 2Kh and up to say 23/24Kh. in this setup any speaker that is 80-5500hz would be classified as a mid no? all mids would be woofers right?
the idea would be to setup a series of speakers that all over lap a bit in fs and round off the system right? currently i have alpine 6.5 components and im looking for an increase in mid volume. i was planing to install a second 6.5" with the same tweeter i have now. what is my current 6.5" alpines woofer fs? i cant find this anywhere online. would my current 6.5's not succumb to the same directional sound as the 10" would?   to that end would it be best to angle the speakers upwards to towards the passengers/drivers of the vehicle.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2013 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
the point here is that just because a speaker lists a certain frequency response, that doesnt mean its any good at it. most full-range speakers list a response down to about 60Hz but they will never out perform a dedicated sub woofer in that range.
also, size does matter when it comes to proper sound, certain frequencies just dont sound right coming from a speaker that it too big or too small. thats the reason why you dont see 10" tweeters, because that size speaker just cant make those frequencies audible regardless of whether it can move that fast or not.
if you want better mids then you either need more power, a better installation with proper aiming, better speakers which might also require more power, or you may need to dampen the doors and cab so that the energy that your mids produce doesnt get wasted to vibrations.
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2013 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
doors are dampened with deadener, the steel of the doors is pretty high gauge as is. the speakers are not angled but i think i will build a frame to hold it. the tweets and mids are on a 1100W eclipse amp with 2ga power and 16ga from amp to speakers. the tweets sound good but the mids are just to quiet. the alpines i run are these: http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/spr-60c
should i add 2 more 6.5 or buy some other brand of speaker? ive seen some 8" speakers out there as well. im looking for a driver (for mid) that will do 70-1.5Kh right? is that the proper range of a mid? or should i have a 8 or 10 paired with a 5 or so to handle 2 sets of mid low and mid high?
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2013 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
ok so second thought... what if i keep the 6.5's i have and add a 10 or an 8 in the door like this: maybe use fiberglass or 1/4" MDF to build a new sheet on the door (cover the old holes and make new ones). or should i weld in new aluminum? say 1/8 or 1/4"?
the circles being where i would put the speakers. id think of building a gradient on the MDF or the fiber to angle the speakers more towards the occupants heads. does that sound like a plan?
ZX2500.1 - SP4 18"
Eclipse 34320 - dual 10" mids
Audiobahn A275HC - tweets
KX3 xover
P7800HD deck
knukonceptz wire
custom 3/8" copper plate ANL fuse
4 group 31 1150CCA batteries
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2013 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
i accidentally selected the original image, here is the idea for the new door.
ok so second thought... what if i keep the 6.5's i have and add a 10 or an 8 in the door like this: maybe use fiberglass or 1/4" MDF to build a new sheet on the door (cover the old holes and make new ones). or should i weld in new aluminum? say 1/8 or 1/4"?
the circles being where i would put the speakers. id think of building a gradient on the MDF or the fiber to angle the speakers more towards the occupants heads. does that sound like a plan?
mixing brands of mid/highs -- posted image.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2013 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
so did you just screw the 6.5 into that 6x9 hole? or did you make a cover plate to fill the gaps? if not then that is probably your problem. just like a sub woofer, a mid can benefit greatly from being in a box that separates the front audio wave from the rear audio wave. using a cover plate basically turns your door into a box, without a cover plate you could be a victim of wave cancellation and thats why your mid isnt as powerful as you think it should.
it should look something like this when its done.
mixing brands of mid/highs -- posted image.
ncc74656 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2013 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
yes there is a cover plate.
so i tested the audio today with some tunes by frequency and the mids are maxing out before getting loud enough to match the tweets and are drowned out by the sub. so im pretty sure what i need is a mid that is much more powerfull than my current 110W rms alpines. what should i buy? a single speaker would of course be easier but im open to going dual. is there a single mid range that can cover all the frequencies or may be not? my mids amp has its gain on 0 and with the deck turned to 3/4th power its bottoming out the drivers. my tweets and sub do not have any audible clipping or distortion at 100% power.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 04, 2013 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
what do you mean by "the mids are maxing"? are they bottoming out and distorting? how is the crossover filter set for whatever source is powering these mids? it sounds like your crossover is set too low and the mids are getting too much bass. try turning your crossover up a few notches and see if that helps.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic