icon

avital 4103l power door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cooldude48818 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2013 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 94 Chevy G20 sportsvan and I just installed an Avital 4103L remote car starter. I have everything working except the power door locks. I have them hooked up and the box clicks but the locks don't work when you press the buttons on the remote. I need help!
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2013 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
until you tell us how you connected the lock relay wires to you locks, its hard to diagnose what went wrong.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
cooldude48818 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
I just hooked the wires up to the lt blue and black wires like the paperwork said to do. I did not install any kind if relays. If I have to install relays, how do I so that, what kind of relays do I need and how do I wire them up? I'm a mechanic of 15 plus yeas but have never hooked or wired relays or anything in.
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

the clicking in the box is probably the parking light relay flashing the parking lights.

where did you hear that the blue and black wires were the ones to hook to?

yuk
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
The door locks use a positive trigger. The Avital only sends a negative trigger on the lock wires. You will need relays to convert the negative signal from the Avital to a positive one to power the door lock wires.
Power Lock      lt. blue      +      door boot or behind cluster
Power Unlock      black      +      door boot or behind cluster
avital 4103l power door locks -- posted image.
You will need 2 relays, one for lock and one for unlock.
The (-) trigger goes to either the lock or unlock wire of the Avital. The 12V+ Output goes to the corresponding door lock wire in the van.
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
hey cooldude48818,
if you PM me a mailing address i will send you for free a DEI 451M lock relay set.
it will take the place of the two relays that shortcircuit161 has described but is all built into one small unit to solve your problem and has good instructions (and of course there is  help here on the board)
it can be used to send the positive to your door lock relay and since it is designed for DEI made alarms, its the easiest way to connect.

yuk
cooldude48818 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Well that sounds like a plan. I may also try and wire up the relays cause I do have a few laying around for the time being. When I get something hooked up ill repost and let you know how it's working! Just wanted to thank everybody for their help! Thanks people!
itsyuk 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

just make sure you dont miswire something and blow your unlock circuit.

if you look at install manuals for most DEI alarms and remote starts, the lock wires alternate as pos and neg pulses. your is the first DEI i have seen that only does neg pulses.so i learned something myself along your post.

some vehicles use neg pulses, some pos pulses, and some use a certain resistance on a single wire to communicate lock or unlack. there are all kinds of different systems.

most older GM vehicles dont have a door lock relay at all if they are only 2 doors and have no factory alarm or keyless entry. those cases you must have something like a DEI 451M or use a brain that has built in lock relays.

most other vehicles have a relay that can be operated directly from the brain in some manor or the other.

THEN WE HAVE YOUR VAN.  LOL....

multidoor, vehicle has its own relay, but you have a brain that only pulses neg. so the 451M will turn your neg into a pos.

search the "Downloads/Manuals" section of this forum for "451M" and open the larger file of the 2 that come up.

the smaller file does not pertain to your situation.

you will use the "type A"  description. tape the unused wires so they cant touch anything else and thats it.

i have the package all ready and will get it in the mail tomorrow morning. you may have it wed.

yuk
cooldude48818 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like I should just wait for the box. I do have a good idea on how to wire the relays but don't want to run the risk of ruining something! Relays and resistors are not a strong point for me. Done lots of light, radio and amp installs with no problems but I understand how that works! This is a totally different animal in my book. I'm a jack of all trades but seeing you guys lay this stuff out and telling me how these things work, I want to start learning how to do this and for that I want to thank everybody on this site for being so helpful!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Itsyuk, DEI dropped flip-flops after the 5901.
Now could you send me some 451s (think of it as lend-lease) I used my last today on a Beemer + 5704 (Euro E36 was POS locks). avital 4103l power door locks -- posted image.
On a serious note does the 451 have internal diodes?
Because it bloody well should.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic