the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

good soldering iron for ignition wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
It runs just a little higher than the Weller station I was looking at. But if it can really do the heavy gauge ignition wires without having to hold it on them for 20+ minutes then I wouldn't mind spending a little extra. The only downside is that I'm screwed if I ever run out of the butane unless I also pick up a corded iron.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Come on Kenny, bet you have spare Stanley knives, Philips and Torx bits don't you?
Weller etc. purified butane in a can about $5, heck even the UK equivalent to Radio Shack carries them.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
the problem you have with the weller station not heating up is because the connector that goes to the pen gets loose over time and the contacts wear out. i think you can replace just the cord and have it working like new.
otherwise i use a big radio shack gun, 250W on high i think and 120W on low, makes short work of heavy ignition wires.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
Do you know the model of that radio shack gun?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
For the handfull of installs I've done, I've used my Napa 80w chisle tip soldering iron I bought for $40. It's nearly identical to the Weller SP80L. It heats up 12ga ignition wires quick and easily. No more melting the insulation off ignition wires before the copper gets hot enough to flow the solder. :-) For all the smaller wires(18-22ga) i use a cheap-o Wal-mart 40w iron.
offroadzj 
Posted: March 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
Since I will likely be doing some sensitive soldering, I opted to go with a radio shack digital adjustable station. It was a little pricey, but the easy adjustability will make it extremely useful. I tested it out at about 3/4 power 700*f) and it had no problem with ignition wires.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic