icon

cordless drills

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
I can take my 18volt Dewalt and drill 4 1 inch holes in a solid metal truck bumper for sensors, then go install for 3 more days before the battery dies. They are flat out tough...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
i use a Hitachi lithium 12v impact, its brother the normal Hitachi drill w/ chuck, and a small snap-on 10.2v(i think)for tighter spaces. honesty i have been the most impressed by these little Hitachi drills, for their size and voltage they have some serious torgue, i have broken seatbelt and battery post bolts with them in a pinch when i cant use or dont have a wrench. i also have to be careful not to snap off screw heads by over tightening. i beat the hell out of them every day for 3 years without any issues and they still work like the day i got them.
also i only ever buy 12V or 14V cordless drills because you can use them for testing and other things like rolling a car window up or testing a radio in the field, cant do that with an 18V or a 10V in some cases.
Dewalt, they make ok power tools in my opinion, i used to work with their heavy duty 18V drills and we had to bring them back in for warranty service almost every 6-8 months for a stripped clutch. ive never had so many problems with any one type of drill. not to mention that the battery on the lithium dewalt impact is wider than any other lithium impact, which can keep them from getting as close as possible to the firewall of a car. \
also another thought is that i know some of the super compact lithium drills have a lot of tourque, just like my Snap-on which will whip your wrist around like a big corded drill can but it doesnt have the rotational speed to drill holes and screws efficiently, takes forever to drill a hole through a car so i only use it as a last resort.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2013 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
The whole point being that with alarm work, how many holes are you drilling?
Hood switch, maybe (rarely) bulkhead, LED sometimes, valet switch sometimes.
Heck I used tap-tights or bolts for the siren.
I've got an 18V Bosch Lithium for things like drilling the bumpers.
After getting a feel for which make the root of my question was drill driver or impact driver or both?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2013 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
Won't an impact driver strip dashboard screws so should I only get a drill/driver?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
i use an impact most of the time, you only end up with stripped screws if you hold the trigger for too long, way too long. once you hear it star clicking and the screw isnt moving anymore that means its tight.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic