the12volt.com spacer
icon

2010 prius starter interrupt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I have to put a Breathalyzer in a customer's vehicle in a couple days. It's being installed in a 2010 Toyota Prius. Do I have to interrupt the starter by interrupting the black and yellow start/stop wires at the push button?
I don't really want to go to the actual starter if possible. I know on some toyota's you can get the starter wire at the ECM or the fusebox. Just looking for some heads up before I tackle this install. Thanks.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
I immobilise them thus:-
centre plug BCM lower end middle, thin black wire, tests as 12 volts+ constant. Pull the fuse marked BRAKE from underneath the BCM and it should go cold, no voltage. If that's the one cut it.
You will lose the READY sign on instrument panel vehicle won't start.
You are cutting the power feed to the brake light switch, the vehicle will not start without that.
I can't give you any locations because I deal with right/hand/drive.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote tonanzith
What company? Draeger Interlocks require you pull apart the dash and have a whole walkthrough on it in the draeger site
Gary Sather
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Chris Luongo
I was thinking the same as Howie---interrupt the brake lights. If you can't find the wire he mentions, I would imagine you could go right to the brake switch, although it is a little tight under there.
Also, just a little warning: If you do this, do your BEST, MOST CAREFUL WORK on that brake wire. If your connections should come loose while the car is in motion, the driver will have no brake lights and not know it. Big potential legal liability for you.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Chris; in London we have a congestion zone pricing system.
Certain vehicles such as the Prius don't pay,
Ideal for taxi work.
One company hires these to immigrants who wouldn't otherwise have the credit ratings to buy one.
Human nature being what it is some don't like to pay, thus immobilised, tracked and recovered using the tracker to immobilise the vehicle. N.B. It will only immobilise once the ignition has been turned off.
Thus not in motion.
And yes on the later 2011+ Prius, in UK spec. the brake light switch is completely inaccessible, can't reach and wiring is covered in corrugated tubing, hence my previous comment about pulling the BCM and bench testing with a DMM.
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2013 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
The interlock is Smart Start. I was kind of thinking the brake switch was my best option to interrupt the Prius from being started but wanted to see what everyone else has done. My only concern is that the brake lights won't operate once the vehicle is started.
I'll have to do some tests on the bench to see if the internal relay on the Smart Start interlock stays closed once the breathalyzer is passed or if I need to figure out another option. If the relay only closes for a few seconds then opens I assume I'll be without brake lights.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Think it through, if you immobilise the vehicle it can't start so the brake lights don't matter.
Once you free off the immobiliser the brake lights will then work.
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pts760
I found out that the brake lights would be fully functional after the initial blow passed but once the breathalyzer required a retest while driving the brake lights would be nonfunctional until the retest passed.
I just received a package from Smart Start today. To correct the flaw with the unit's design, Smart Start sent a external unit which allows the brake to work all the time once the initial blow is passed along with the retests. I don't know if this is the case with all breathalyzer brands but Smart Start requires this part with all push-to-start vehicles.
frank_30 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote frank_30
question: i also install for smart start have you done a new 2016 pushbutton civic non hybrid ?
"throw it in the gutter and go buy another"

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic