icon

did i damage my remote start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
husyor 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
So, I didn't have a fuse inline going directly to the relay, I was thinking there was probably a fuse that was further up line from the line I was grabbing the +12v from. Anyway, I added a 15A fuse inline and retried. No luck. Pretty much same readings. 0v at 30. With positive on +12v and negative on 85, goes from 0 to about +.25v. Stripe on diode toward 86.
husyor 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Did I damage the relay beforehand? Is that possible and is why it's not working?
husyor 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
So, I tested the relay by applying 12v to 86 and then grounding 85. I can hear it clicking.
Testing the alarm with 12v to the positive side of the multimeter and the negative side to the trunk wire goes from 0v to 12v so it seems like that the remote start should be working because its grounding if I am getting that reading. I just have no clue why its not working. I don't hear the relay clicking when it's all connected up.
husyor 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Did I possibly fry the diode? Would that cause the relay to not work, even with no load on it? Maybe Ill try putting a new one on.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
If you followed the diagram you will have 12V+ at 87 and 86, break the (+) trunk release motor wire. Switch side to 87a trunk side to 30 and 85 will give you 12V+ when red probe from your meter goes to 86 or 87 and black probe to 85.
If that's so either relay or diode is faulty.
Does the relay click will you operate the trunk release via the remote?
BTW use a decent 12V test light from Snap-On, MAC or Sears for this, much faster to see what's going on.
husyor 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
If you followed the diagram you will have 12V+ at 87 and 86, break the (+) trunk release motor wire. Switch side to 87a trunk side to 30 and 85 will give you 12V+ when red probe from your meter goes to 86 or 87 and black probe to 85.
If that's so either relay or diode is faulty.
Does the relay click will you operate the trunk release via the remote?
BTW use a decent 12V test light from Snap-On, MAC or Sears for this, much faster to see what's going on.
Before I had only a 4 connection relay and fearing I may have fried the diode when soldering, I ordered a 5 connection relay with diode already part of it. I connected everything like you said/ like the diagram and it still doesn't work. The relay will work when I have 12v on 86 and I ground 85 manually, just not with the wire from the R/S. The Remote start has to be bad, I've tried everything. I had to fry it when I connected it directly to the trunk output wire and then operated the trunk switch. It's the only possible explanation I'd imagine now.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
You might well have fried the circuit that feeds all of the aux outputs.
husyor 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I ordered a new one. Will post when I try it out. Guess I'll try and sell the old one to someone that doesn't need those circuits.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2013 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
husyor, what part of MO are you in?
anywhere near KC?
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
husyor 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2013 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
I got it working, YEAH! It was the alarm itself. I guess I had fried it when I wired it up wrong. I'm in St. Louis.
New problem. I got a 556uw and got it all wired up. At first,it wasnt starting. So I adjusted the antenna a little and now it DINGS like the key is in the ignition but when I try to remote start it, it wont start and the THEFT light blinks like the key is not there.
This is using the standard installation. They have two alternate installations, but not sure which to do or I'm even wondering if these will work since maybe there is some type of sensor that detects a key in the ignition in general?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic