icon

my amp is clipping, possibly tweeters?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Read from here to the bottom of the page. Notice the last line of the last section of the page.
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross.asp#powera
littlenicky1 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
If you are running the wrong impedance off a passive crossover, (and you are...) then you are DRASTICALLY affecting the actual crossover points! You'll have a doubling of crossover frequency in one direction, and a halving of the crossover frequency in the other direction. What I mean is this: if the crossover is 3500Hz at 4 ohms, then on the high-pass side, you're actually passing 1750Hz and up, and on the low-pass side, you're passing 7kHz and down! Your amplifier could be seeing well under 2-ohms between 1750Hz and 7kHz! Not to mention the EXTREME risk of popping your tweeters for the simple fact that you're crossing them WAY below their recommended crossover points!
Get those extra speakers off the output side of the crossovers, now, post-haste, and immediately! You are running in a very bad situation, and you'll have problems, and soon!
BTW... That PA amplifier will probably NEVER run 540WRMS per channel. If you're getting half that, I'd be surprised. What's the exact model number? NM... Just multiply the fuse value by 14.4, then multiply by 66%. Now, divide by 2. THAT is how much power that amp can make, realistically, and 2X that for PEAK output! Engine running. Less than that for engine off situations...
Ok so don't get mad I am still a little confused... I am not running a low pass filter at all on this amp. I am only running a high pass filter on both of the tweeters that are in series. The Kicker speakers are mids, component speakers with a tweeter factory inside of it not lows or a sub that are parallel so I would think they would not be affected at all by the cross overs in the tweeter line.
I have read what you said and the post from the other guy talking about crossover, but for some reason I cannot get it in my head why frequency and ohms are related. If I have a 4 ohm tweeter and I put a high pass filter does that change the ohms? Or is it only when I add the second filter on it that it changes it. And I cannot understand what the correlation is. From the picture at the bottom of the page from the link it shows, I think, that when I cross over at a high frequency that lowers the db to -3. Which then if I look at the picture above that and find -3 db it says that I am now at 8 ohms after the crossover?
Thanks for the help I just blew my amp so I guess something was might have been wrong lol, thats why I buy the warranty. My new one should get in soon. My amp is a Power Acoustik BAMF-2600/2 (BAMF2600/2). When I do your math with the 4 25 watt fuses I get 475.2 and I honestly think that is high for this amp.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
OK... Not mad, seriously. We all had difficulty understanding in the beginning.
The crossover does not change the impedance that the speaker is. A 4-ohm will always be a 4-ohm tweeter. ABOVE the crossover point, the amplifier is presented with a 4-ohm load. BELOW the crossover point (and bear in mind I am speaking of the simplest of crossovers - a high pass crossover, i.e. a cap in-line) the amplifier sees an infinitely high impedance. Now, a low-pass affair (a coil in series with the mid-bass driver) is the opposite: infinite above crossover point, and 4-ohms below crossover point. When connected to the amplifier, the amplifier sees the summing of these two impedance curves (4-ohms in parallel with an infinitely high impedance, both above and below the crossover point) to arrive at an additive 4-ohm load.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
I am only running high pass filters though? It sounds like you are saying if I run a high and low pass filter it will read the highs at 4 ohms and the lows as another 4 ohms. If I run the high pass filter on the first tweeter then run it though the second tweeter and the second high pass filter it is still only reading the infinitely high frequencies right? Also, I was thinking about using other tweeters in parallel with the alpine tweeters. Theses tweeters do not have a built in in-line high pass filter and I was wondering if the fact that the alpine tweeters are running an in-line high pass filter if the other tweeters without a in-line will be reading high frequencies or if it is only reading the full frequency with highs and lows. If this is not true can I run the high pass filter on the amp and then have it work with the alpine tweeters with the in-line filter as well as the ones that do not have a filter in-line? I would move the kicker component speaker to a different amp if I do this. Thanks for the help I think I almost understand it lol.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said initially, do not connect multiple speakers to a single crossover and do not connect crossovers in series. If you must connect more than one tweeter to a single amplifier channel, connect them in parallel each with it's own crossover.
Support the12volt.com
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Like I said initially, do not connect multiple speakers to a single crossover and do not connect crossovers in series. If you must connect more than one tweeter to a single amplifier channel, connect them in parallel each with it's own crossover.
Ok thanks.
what about running a tweeter in series with a 6 by 9? I called alpine and they said I could do that but I wanted to make sure. They recommend that I run the 6 by 9 before the tweeter and I would be fine as long as the ohms were the same for both speakers. Sorry for repost my iPod sent it by accident.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't do it.
Why don't you take a step back and please clearly explain what you are trying to do? How many speakers are you installing into what car? What amp(s) are you trying to use? Why do you think you NEED to connect a tweeter in series with anything?
Support the12volt.com
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I wouldn't do it.
Why don't you take a step back and please clearly explain what you are trying to do? How many speakers are you installing into what car? What amp(s) are you trying to use? Why do you think you NEED to connect a tweeter in series with anything?
I have a 2600 watt bamf 2 channel amp. I have 4 tweeters with the inline crossover and 4 kicker 6.5 speakers already. I am trying to put these all on this one amp because it was the cheapest watt per dollar. When wireing it I am having a hard time wireing it to get about 500 watts per channel and keeping the ohms to 2 to 4. I am thinking about buying another 2600 2 channel amp so I can keep the fade on my deck function able. If I did this I would buy a 4 more speakers about 400 watts each to max out the wattage on the amps. I have been trying to think of the best most efficient way to run theses speakers. The alpine tweeters are being a pain because I did not know they had the crossover with them and would messes up ohms when wired. They are fairly low wattage at 75 each and with the high wattage amp causes issues with keeping ohms down as I said before. Any and all help to figuring this out would be great.
DYohn 
Posted: April 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
Why do you want to have that many speakers in your car? Are the 6.5" Kickers coaxials, meaning they already have tweeters? Where in the vehicle are you mounting all of these?
Stop worrying about the power ratings, every number you've posted is meaningless.
Support the12volt.com
littlenicky1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Why do you want to have that many speakers in your car? Are the 6.5" Kickers coaxials, meaning they already have tweeters? Where in the vehicle are you mounting all of these?
Stop worrying about the power ratings, every number you've posted is meaningless.
I want to have as much power and loudness as I can. I have a decent bass level but I really feel I need more highs. I already have these speakers with extended warranty so I want to use them. The kickers are the ks60 and I believe they are coaxial speakers. The tweeters are on the side panels next to where your head would be for each person, the kickers are where the factory ones were and I'm thinking about building a small box to put under the seats for the new 6 by 9 s I want.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic