the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Bass Blocker Calculator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
realistically its not a good idea to assume anything about a tweeters low end frequency response because if you get it wrong you could still end up with dead tweeters. you should look up the frequency response of those tweeters and size your bass blocker off of the lowest number they give you. you probably are safe at 5000Hz but if the tweeter can play lower than that then you could be robbing yourself.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Makes sense for the most part. But I just don't want or need my tweeters to be producing mid-range frequencies. That's not what I bought them for. I prefer they pump out the highs. The F/R of these is 2500-30,000 Hz. So yes, a 5000 Hz cut-off would be ideal. Sonic is suggesting the PAC #BB-6PR, which have a cut-off frequency of 5600 Hz for 4-ohm tweeters. PERFECT! As most of us know, the human ear only hears frequencies between 20 and 20,000 Hz. So "technically", I wouldn't hear anything from the tweeters anywhere near their 30,000 Hz high note capabilities. But it's also a "coolness factor" to have speakers that go that high, even if only animals will here them. LOL!
I just put in Kenwood 6.5" 3-way speakers in my front doors and rear deck, only to be very unhappy with their high frequencies. In fact, my factory 2-way door speakers that only handled 15 watts max put out better highs than these Kenwoods. It's actually the first time I've been unhappy with any Kenwood speaker. So, I have plans to replace them with Clarion SRG-1622R's, which have a frequency response of 30-30,000 Hz, much broader than the Kenwood KFC-1664S's 35-22,000 Hz. I then plan to buy a pair of Clarion SRQ6933R's for the rear deck. These have a frequency response of 25-35,000 Hz! Unbelievable for a 6x9. I can't find the SRQ series in door speakers.
So, some of you might be scratching your heads and wondering why in the world I even WANT or NEED tweeters. Good question. Simple answer. I just want clearer highs. Anyone can get bone-rattling bass by just throwing a couple cheap subs in a box with an amp. I see it all day long. But when that car is bumpin along or pulls into a parking lot with all the windows down trying to impress everyone, they look awfully ridiculous when you can't hear even the faintest mids or highs because they're running stock speakers off a stock deck, then most likely running some inputs (line level or RCA) into an amp for some subs. I want just the opposite. I want people to walk up and compliment me on how crystal clear my highs sound and ask me what kind of speakers I have (like they did all day with my Stratus stereo).
So, to sum it all up, I don't think I'll worry about reproducing frequencies down between around 2,500 Hz of these tweeters and the 5,600 Hz of the bass blckers out of the tweeters.
Thanks again for everyone's opinion. I might sound crazy but I'm really just crazy for sound. But on THIS car, I have an extremely tight budget, unlike the Stratus. So no subs, no pair of 1,000 watt amps and 1,800 watt sub amp, no optima battery, nothing fancy. Just a simple 4-channel amp powering door and rear deck speakers plus my deck powering some tweeters and I'm going to call it good.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
If they are 4-ohm tweeters, an 8 uf cap in series will crossover at about 5KHz. Use a poly crossover cap, like these. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-82-82uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-426
Support the12volt.com
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
What a coincidence... it was from Parts Express that I ordered my last pair of these! Back then, they only offered 2 sizes.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
If they are 4-ohm tweeters, an 8 uf cap in series will crossover at about 5KHz. Use a poly crossover cap, like these.
OMG! I just looked at all them they have at Parts Express now and got overwhelmed!!! There's over 230 of just the Polypropylene ones! So you're saying I would be best to go with the 8 uf? What % should I select? Dang, it was a LOT easier to just go with the ones Sonic suggested. At least there weren't a gazillion to chose from.
Thanks!
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2013 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
Got a reply from Parts Express! They also suggested the 5,000 Hz bass blockers. Between DYohn, Sonic .and Parts Express, I think the verdict is in: I'm going with the 5,000 Hz bass blockers! Now if I can figure out if the other specs are important to worry about. I don't remember some of that in my MECP training manual, but I'll have to look it up.
Thanks everyone for your advice! I knew I could count on THE12VOLT to come through once again when I needed them most!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic