icon

re audio ctx32001 amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2013 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Even if it is not a dual terminal supply despite what DYohn's linked pic shows, we are back to my first reply.
I can't see amp manufacturer's using a redundant dual supply topology - that requires extra circuitry in the amp (so that an input short on one does not fail the other). That adds a relatively significant cost at the expense of other risks.
And mere dual terminals for the sake of supplying dual feeds simply is not justified in typical systems. How often does the supply fail? And if it does, so what? It is not critical and can easily be fixed. A failure is usually a blown fuse or a battery failure.
To overcome that, a dual battery and distribution system is required, and is that justified (even if the amp itself does have dual redundant inputs)?
I have never heard of redundant supplies for car audio.
Lighting and other critical circuits may have - eg, my high-beam passing/flasher circuit has an independent fuse path and relay in case of main fuse etc failure. But that's useless if the failure was caused by a high-beam short (unless I have each filament on its own unique bypass supply and relay and individual normal-use relays).    
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed. Even "dual mono" stereo amps gain nothing from redundant power supplies in the car audio world. In the home with noisy AC supplies, maybe. But in the DC world: just give them sufficient current.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
i only notice dual terminals in high power amps that are really two lower model amps strapped together inside the same case. one example that comes to mind is an older autotek mean machine 4000.1D which is only two 2000.1D's built on the same PCB. i know a few older Orion amps that were like that too, the amps wont turn on unless both sets of terminals were being fed voltage.
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to assume that the poster was just looking at the speaker outputs which show two negatives and two positives.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
No I never saw an amp with two positive inputs as in power 12v so I posted and asked how this amps works
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  

The Power Acoustik BAMF 550/1d does have 2 4Ga inputs for power and ground.    Some older Rockford products have 2 as well.  I have repaired many of both with melted power or ground terminals.  In every case, the end user fed only one of the inputs. 

I have seen many amps with single power and ground that had the same problem.  In most of these cases, the power or ground wire was not of adequate gauge. 

Key rule of thumb, fill up the power and ground terminals.  If it will accept 0Ga.  use that.  If it will accept 4Ga., use that.    If it has 2 power and 2 grounds, fill them both up.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it only has one power supply but it allows using two smaller gauge cables because it needs the current capacity. Two cables of the same gauge create the equivalent of a single cable three numbers larger, so dual 4AWG is the same as a single 1AWG.
Support the12volt.com
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
I like filling stuff up.. re audio ctx32001 amp - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. re audio ctx32001 amp - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic