icon

wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Do you need the motor to turn in your project? Can you disconnect the motor and read the voltage with no load on the wires?
riverdogg 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
I don't need the motor for this project, and I plan on taking it out eventually. I just haven't done that yet. I tested several locations, one of which included where the wires connected to the motor. Would the voltage change if I were to remove the motor?
So I just tested all the same connections I tested yesterday and got 4.6V. Weird. But what's even weirder is that about every two or three seconds, the voltage goes up by 0.01V. I just tested again and its up to 5.25V. I'm using the same test locations, same wall outlet, and the same DMM. Can you think of an explanation? (Now its up to 5.47V)
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
LED strips cannot (usually) be bent sideways. You'd probably want strips with side-emitting LEDs.
Otherwise the setup looks fine.
The "LED transformer" overcomes safety issues since the hazardous AC connections are internal.
And the dimer looks ok.
All the above have more than sufficient rating for your 24 LEDs.
riverdogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
The more I look at this "pre-made" stuff the more I'm inclined to go this route. On my previous project, I made everything from scratch. But I think I'm just going to fo the easy route this time. Thanks for the tip about the side-emitting LEDs. I saw those when I was browsing around, but didn't really think about using them. But since you mentioned them it got me thinking of how an LED strip would fit inside the record player and side emitting is the way to go. I'll put up a picture of the finished clock once I get everything all put together. That way you can see what you helped me make. Thanks again for all your help.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
LOL - me too. Most know how very DIY I am, but when I see those ready made modules so cheap. Especially power supplies - why risk safety and legal infringements? (Even tho I am at ease with that, but power leads, trannies & caps etc tend to be messy constructions.)
And as to just being able to attach and interconnect wires and often not having to worry about housings (IMO the most tedious and often most expensive aspect).
If their functionality or size doesn't suit, then I'll DIY.
As for my desire for redundancy (spare) or be able to repair anywhere, I'll buy a spare or three.
Where did you get the side emitters? (eBay item number if relevant; eBay etc links do not work on this site.)
A while ago I was looking for side emitters for my ute for edges around headlights & under bumpers etc but could not find suitable white LEDs (preferably with close spacing).
And BTW, I love your project. (Sorry I missed that it was purely a clock... d'oh!)
I'm sure someday somewhere somebody will criticise you for "hacking" a rare and ancient item. But as I see it, you prevent them being junked; you keep an other old technology going (analog clocks); and even allow future collectors the possibility of restoring a rare turntable. (I still have my turntable. I'm just waiting to fit an ultrasonic or laser pickup.)
Oh - did I forget to say they look friggin grouse? wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image. wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image. & IMO wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image.
PS - I look forward to a final pic. But if you experience any problems, get back to us.
riverdogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I'm sure someone will one day read what I'm about to say and then want to shoot me. I'm using a Bang & Olefsen RX2. They made them in the early '90s and are basically a piece of art as far as record players are concerned. But it wasn't working when it was given to me. I thought about repairing it, but I'd also have to buy a needle for it. The needles alone are over $150! wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image. I think if this thing was working and had a needle I could sell it for $300 to $400. But I'm selfish and want a cool looking clock. wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image. So if you're reading this in the future and want to shoot me, just keep reading a few posts down because I'll post up some pictures later when I'm finished and then I doubt you'll want to shoot me. Or at least with a smaller gun.
Anyway, I mostly use Amazon to buy things. I have a Prime membership so I get free two-day shipping. So here's what I found on Amazon for you:
2pc White LED Audi Style Flexible Headlight Strip Kit (this one is a little more pre-made)
Amico White Waterproof Flexible Side-emitting 335 SMD 300 LED Strip Light 5M (this one is a little more DIY)
A laser pickup would be friggin awesome! I have no idea how it'd work, or even where to start, but you should do it!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
OMG - a B&O!! You criminal! Moderators - please purge all my replies and extract any learning from that WetDirtyDog! (Note to Mods - I'm jest kidding!)
Nah - my previous comments still apply except that its looking friggin awesome just went up a notch or two.
Yeah - B&O had (have?) amazing stuff. Innovative designs - many didn't even recognise what they were (I recall their first "linear arm" vertical turntable) - with performance to match. Unfortunately so did their price tag.
Hmmm - you've given me an idea for a present for my mum. It's difficult being on par with her Jensen wrist watch (& they still sell for ~$2k+).
wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image.
But she'd probably complain it's too heavy lugging around an extension cord...   wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image.
Thanks for the LED links. I'll get back into that since I'm in the process of adding a 3rd high brake LED strip and adding a dimmer for its taillight function. (Gotta love my Marque. The LED strip taken from the inside of their 2001 4WD rear door has the same curve as my 1965 ute roof overhang. I was happy enough that their 1985 LED bolted straight into my diff axle. Honestly, what a considerate and forward thinking company!)
Incidentally or FYI, the strip is 10 strings of 4 red LEDs (50mA @ 1.95V with a 14.4V supply). I considered the 3-terminal adjustable voltage regulator chip LM317T and resistor as a current-limiting type dimmer but will probably use it as a voltage regulator (an extra resistor) because then the brightness will not increase if strings fail. I decided that PWM is overkill for now - maybe I'll use that later if I add a pulsing function (eg, using an 8-pin PICAXE).
riverdogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  
Haha, WetDirtyDog.... Quite clever!
Yeah, a B&O. I haven't started ripping it apart yet, but when I do I think I'll feel a little guilty over it. B&O is still around, but I don't think they're making stereo components anymore. They do make this clock though. And its only $410. What a deal!
I think I'm going to follow your lead and add a few of the leftover LEDs to my car. But on the inside. I think it just needs a little more light. wiring leds to ac do i use a transformer - Page 2 -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2013 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
Don't feel guilty... REJOICE!
Ever since attending a do with a/the Danish Trade Ambassador, I've considered Danes - or Denmark at least - an open target. It's not that he asked "what has Australia done overseas?", but that he answered - "not much". (LOL) (Hey man, we gave police radios, invented Vegemite, CAD, rail guns, ...but Russell Crowe is a Kiwi.)
But LED strips for under-dash footwell lighting - much easier than fluoro tubes! Same IMO for puddle lights, engine bays, etc.
Best wishes.
riverdogg 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2013 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Well here it is. My one of a kind Bang & Olufsen RX2 Clock!
And here's one with the dust cover on. But I think I'll leave it off most of the time.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic