the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how to: repair broken antenna cable

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2013 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Threw together a little video on how to splice a damaged antenna cable. Having bought a lot of used cars that idiots have owned I've come across this issue many times. The antenna plug is either broken off, missing, or was cut up by an idiot who never has heard of an antenna adapter. Well either way here it is. I know many of the regulars on here already know how but it might help out some of the new guys/girls. In this instance I was replacing an antenna end by where the antenna mounted, but obviously it can be applied to other situations as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzvTBdZ12z4
Let me know what you think. I may start making more videos on other aspects of car audio/car repair.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2013 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
Looks good. I liked watching it to compare your techniques to the way I do it. Great video. I think future videos would be beneficial for everyone.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Nice video. I have had to explain this process over the phone to many a repair shop! Mostly on early 2000's f150's that the plug gets solidly rusted to the back of the stock radio. Trying to explain that an antenna cable is the same as a coaxial tv cable usually results in a confused "what?" followed by a dent in my forehead from face palming. Keep the inside conductor from touching the braided shielding. Solder both separately and it will be fine.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
In fact I have seen a few crown vics with coax cable screw on ends from the factory. If you have the tools you can splice it in that way as well. Good excuse to buy more tools!
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
if you dont mind id like to add that when i do this repair i like to use hot glue to replace the inner plastic shield around the inner copper core because when it dries its nice and stiff to protect the inner core from flex and it keeps you from moving the core around when wrapping it with tape. this is especially useful when you need to splice together something like a satellite radio or GPS antenna where the inner core wire is so tiny that it usually breaks again when you try to wrap tape around it to keep it stiff. next time you splice one, try it, and you'll see what i mean. not saying your way is wrong, its perfectly fine, ive just had the core re-break on me a few times so i found a way to not break them.
edit: didnt see the part when you used a zip tie in the middle so i guess that works to keep the stiffness as long as its a thick enough zip tie
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know of a tool that crimps a new Motorola antenna end onto the coaxial (antenna) cable after all the soldering is done. Just like the crimp on the antenna adapters from Metra, Scosche, American International, etc... I believe the Metra part for the Motorola end is 40-UV40.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
not sure what motorola antenna you are talking about but if it goes onto a standard coax then a coax crimper should do it.
pts760 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
I was just talking about a standard antenna end on coax cable. I'll check that tool out. Thanks.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I never thought about doing the hot glue thing. I've always just done the ziptie as a splint. I'll have to try out the hot glue on the next one! Have another antenna to do actually so I may try this out.
Also going to be doing an alarm/keyless on the same car in the next few days. Will likely put up a video on that as well. I figure I got a lot of stuff I'll be doing soon, and I have this camera that I never use. Hopefully it helps those out who are more visual learners.
I appreciate the feedback!
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: June 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
yea sometimes its not worth finding a hot glue gun and waiting for it to heat up but if you can plan ahead and have it ready it will make the job a lot easier and almost no risk of breaking the core wire again while you finish wrapping it in tape, just make sure the hot glue is completely cooled off before you do anything else.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic