icon

what brand r/s do you like

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kxed 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2013 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed a few Viper systems but from what i have been reading it seems like DEI is starting to put out junk. What system do you guy's recommend? I'm going to install in my daughters 2000 celica I want a R/S with keyless entry.
cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2013 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
I use DEI everyday. They are absolutely fine. It usually comes down to installer error for a bad brain.
Stick with a name brand. DEI (Avital, python, viper, clifford), Compustar, Audiovox (Prestige, panther)
I use the 4103 Avital everyday. or the one button version 4113. They are bulletproof with good range.
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
I like using crimestopper's RS4-G4. It is simple to install and provides the features you'll need for generally every install. Also the unit is about half the price of DEI's over priced units full of features that'll proly never be used. The size of most DEI units is like putting a suit case under the dash too.
DEI's units are a little more advance to program than the Crimestopper units which will make your life easy. The Crimestopper unit is extremely reliable too. I've put in thousands of units and have only had maybe 10 that were defective but warrantied.
I hate to say this but if you ask for remote start recommendation on this forum you are gonna get solely DEI recommendations "it's sickening".
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2013 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
If you look in the Car Security and Convenience forum and notice what units people are having issues with and questions about it's 90 percent DEI units. I guess that speaks for itself. Putting DEI units in for 7 years and switching to a different brand made me realize what I was missing.
Sorry about my strong opinionated rambling. what brand r/s do you like -- posted image.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2013 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, DEI isn't what they used to be. Compared to Avox they are harder to install and programming is rediculous. We carry both and the Avox/Pursuit wins hands down...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2013 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
cmk0808ny wrote:
I use DEI everyday. They are absolutely fine. It usually comes down to installer error for a bad brain.
Stick with a name brand. DEI (Avital, python, viper, clifford), Compustar, Audiovox (Prestige, panther)
I use the 4103 Avital everyday. or the one button version 4113. They are bulletproof with good range.
I've personally had 4 DEI brains go bad on me in the past year or so. My personal vehicle just wouldn't remote start sometimes (I would hit the button, the lights would flash and nothing else would happen... not even an error). My wife's Jeep was the latest that started with an internal short for the GWA wire causing the internal starter kill relay to stay activated. And now there is something else going on with the remote start. I have a thread explaining it better.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kxed 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies im thinking of chrimestopper or compustar
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
It's all down to profit!
Back in the day Clifford was the best, most reliable, best boards made in the US but clunky.
Over here we only get Viper unfortunately, I've had customer's bring in the odd Avox, I find the install guide confusing, the OLED remote is garbage.
Compustar appears to be the spiritual successor to the old Cliffords.
We are installing 10-12 5X04 units a week.
No problems, BUT 3 months later they fail!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
in my experience between DEI and audiovox, the problems i get with each are about what and what. maybe not recently as i havent installed dei alarms regularly in a long time, a few here and there but thats it. anyway, for my money i choose viper over audiovox, true the viper can be tricky to program without a bitwriter but i have one so programming is nothing to me. to me audiovox just lacks features that i consider basic like a timed delayed start for diesels and some convenience features that are standard on mid level and up DEI units like the ability to delete the door trigger error chirp when there is a dome light delay. dumb features like that just make for a better experience as a user.
as far as problems ive had with audiovox, the range is very subjectable to outside interference, many many many times ive had complaints from people who cant get the alarms to respond even standing right next to the car and ive seen it plenty of times with my own eyes too. their 2-way systems are spotty at best, the communication is usually very delayed if it happens at all. the other major problem i get with audiovox is they like to drop power on the ignition or accessory wires for no apparent reason, ive had this happen twice on friends cars and it likes to happen a few months after the alarm has been installed and working just fine until one day it just quits. this is a big big problem because if you try to start the car with the wrong wire not getting power it can throw engine and trouble codes and in rare cases can hurt the car.
no alarm is completely without problems and i guess DEI has been going down hill fast over the years that i havent been installing them and its probably true that installer error has a lot to do with many of the problems, when you are the most popular you will inevitable have more installers with less training than they should have trying to install these alarms and they arent very forgiving of bad wiring mistakes.
ive heard good things about ultrastart but i have never used or installed one.
autopage...junk
scytek...junk
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2013 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
X 2 with soundnsecurity.
Except could it be down to sheer volume.
I'm just guessing from this side of the pond but I bet DEI outsells the other brands by let's say 4-1.
Assuming the same build quality and installer levels of competence, shouldn't you get 4 times the complaints about DEI?
From about 1992 until about 2010 Clifford ruled the roost in the UK BUT it took a certain amount of competence, thoroughness and sheer bloody minded attention to detail to install them.
They only allowed certain people, and we all knew each other to install them.
You could charge top dollar and they backed you up, warrantee etc.
Then along comes the takeover, they sell the Chinese made kit to all and sundry without proper training, managed to almost kill the market.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic