icon

identifying 35 year old relay diodes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2013 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
It may not be my fault, but I haven't decoded the circuit to sufficient detail - I'm being quick, or lazy.
I was assuming that those diodes were for relay-coil spike suppression, but if Ween thinks they are in series with IGN then that's an entirely different matter.
If it's an IGN voltage dropper or spike protector (to protect the circuit from IGN spike damage) then it would/could be the usual low Ohmage big Wattage resistor in series with a polarity protection diode (before or after the resistor) that then powers the circuit AND has a Zenor diode to GND to limit the voltage to some maximum (eg, 16V, or 10V, etc). But in that case there would be the power take-off from the junction of the 2 diodes, and the polarity protection diode would IMO be much larger than the apparent signal diode pictured - eg, ~100mA rated; ie - a bigger 1A 1N400x or larger would be used UNLESS the relay coils are powered direct from IGN +12V (since they'd probably take in excess of 100mA each).
However it could be 2 series diodes (Zenor & normal) to provide a fixed voltage drop from IGN +12V and hence no "junction" power take-off but IMO that is unlikely. Then again, I have seen many "strange" car electronics - even in Jap vehicles.
And maybe one relay is a polarity protection diode (ie, has a diode in series with its coil and its contacts connects the power).
But since I saw no track from the junction/common of the 2 diodes I assumed it was for coil spike protection.
IE - instead of the usual reverse connected IN400x etc diode across the relay coil (line end to +ve of the coil, other end to the coil's -ve or GND) which "shorts" -ve spikes to GND, a Zenor diode is added in series with the aforementioned diode but back-to-back (ie, line end to line end, else lines away from each other).
I fail to see the need for the added Zenor diode (why increase the -ve spike from ~0.7V to ~{ 0.7V plus the Zenor breakdown voltage } unless perhaps needing to limit noise or the current surge?) and hence my proposal to bypass (omit) it.
Of course in the time I wrote this reply I could probably have decoded enough of the circuit, but my printer has gone on vacation and I hate reverse engineering PCB circuits on screen. (Did I mention lazy - I mean, too busy?)
toyotaguy 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2013 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
Here's another shot of the trace side without a flash, perhaps a little better. I also pasted a link to a post (scroll to post #170) containing the relevant pages from the 78 Toyota fan controller service specs.
I wish I were smarter about this. I started out at Ga Tech as a EE and after a particularly difficult class switched to IE. Since I went into the Navy after graduation I guess it ended up being somewhat irrelevant which engineering discipline I majored in. I'm now retired but this has really piqued my interest again. Maybe enough to take a community college class or something.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/401196-fj40-carb-cooling-fan-do-you-run-yours-9.html
identifying 35 year old relay diodes - Page 2 -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2013 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
It's 4:15Am here and I'm about to crash.
Those pages don't help - they don't show any circuitry. And you supplied the required connection info in your 2nd last pic.
But tomorrow tonight I'll see if I can su and root around with your pics assuming my girlfriend lets me off for the night (we'll be scavenging firewood for her).
toyotaguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
It's 4:15Am here and I'm about to crash.
Those pages don't help - they don't show any circuitry. And you supplied the required connection info in your 2nd last pic.
But tomorrow tonight I'll see if I can su and root around with your pics assuming my girlfriend lets me off for the night (we'll be scavenging firewood for her).
Just trying to supply anything that might help. Thanks so much for your effort.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
YES! Time, or delays, or procrastination.
I've just been reminded of a weekend visit to a distant relative (my oops!), but I'll ensure SHE brings MY mobile router so maybe I can log in etc from there.
It's now 12:30AM Zulu and I have a full day tomorrow, and still no printer. So much for my Linux Mint 15 (xfce) install...
toyotaguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone else care to take a stab at this?
toyotaguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:
the two diodes appear to be in series on the ignition lead...polarity protection as well as a slight voltage drop. guessing the resistor adjacent provides some isolation for the timer circuitry from the relay coil operation.
Ween,
Can you suggest specific diodes to replace the two damaged ones with? I've been trying to sort this out for weeks and am about to throw in the towel. Thanks so much for your help.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
did you think of looking on ebay perhaps for a spare for parts?
i think there are a few listed for around $20 shipped? then again 1N400* series diodes are like $1.50 for a pair at radio shack, or a multi-pack of 25 diodes for under $4. did some searching on fj forums for the operation of the timer module. from the description, it seems you could wire the unit on a test bench to check operation. if the diodes are inserted backwards on the ignition lead, the unit won't operate.
toyotaguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:
did you think of looking on ebay perhaps for a spare for parts?
i think there are a few listed for around $20 shipped? then again 1N400* series diodes are like $1.50 for a pair at radio shack, or a multi-pack of 25 diodes for under $4. did some searching on fj forums for the operation of the timer module. from the description, it seems you could wire the unit on a test bench to check operation. if the diodes are inserted backwards on the ignition lead, the unit won't operate.
The controllers I see listed now are for 79-80 and 81 models and I hadn't considered buying a similar one to rob components from. I'll try the 1N4001 diodes first. Thanks for your help.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic