what brand remote start alarm system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sirois 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2013 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I want to install a remote start alarm system in my 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante.
I've had Magicar remote start systems before but they would always fail.
What I want is not a million features, I just need it to be reliable and not fail on me with time.
I have been looking at Viper, Python and Mongoose. Which of these is the most reliable, and are there any other brands I should be looking at?
Thanks
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
This topic has been covered a billion times. The search button is your friend.
It comes down to personal preference. Here is my personal preference order:
Compustar
DEI (Viper, Python, Etc)
Ultrastart (not a huge fan but I don't mind doing them if someone brings it in to me).
DEI products seem to have lost a lot of their reliability lately.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
sirois 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks offroadjz,
Any reason why compustar is your first choice?
Would it be a good idea to source an older DEI model for reliability?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
X2 with Kenny. There are several other factors to be considered during the planning phase. Things like one-way or two-way remotes, desired range, programming features, etc. ( Ex : your vehicle needs a system that can output a double unlock pulse. )
As a general rule, steer clear of any system that uses the oil pressure sender to determine if the engine has remote started...
I have found that long term reliability is usually determined by the installation quality. Take your time, solder everything. Do it right, do it once.   what brand remote start alarm system? -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Compustar. Excellent alarm/remote start/keyless combo along with several features for various applications. The Compustar units are very reliable as long as the unit is installed correctly.
DEI is over priced garbage. If you notice, all the postings on here are for people having issues with the DEI units. I put them in for 5 yrs until I finally got sick of them and switched to a more reliable brand.....Compustar.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
sirois 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
What model Compustar should I get?
Like I said I don't care too much about features, I just want:
-Good protection (might add a glass break sensor and/or a microwave sensor)
-Remote start
-And most importantly reliability. I've had Magicar alarm systems which were horribly unreliable.
Would someone who has never installed an alarm before be able to DIY assuming time is not a concern?
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2013 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Totally depends on what you want CM6000 brain and whatever remote you want
sirois 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2013 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Are there online stores that sell Compustart and send internationally?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2013 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
I believe there are U.S. online sellers that will ship internationally. Of course, you will want to verify that the transmitter
frequency used by the Compustar system is not restricted locally. Usually Compustar sells their units separate. You
choose the controller unit first, then you select the Remote Kit that fits your needs. In your case you want the CM6000-AS
controller and then something like the RF-2WG5-900SH remote kit. The remote kit supplies the two remotes and the
corresponding antenna and harness.   Some on-line sellers will bundle these together to make a complete kit.
While the Compustar systems are excellent products, they ( like all major brands ) aren't real DIYer friendly. Information,
like install guides, is restricted but can be found on-line. Compustar will not supply Tech Support to DIYers. Here is a
link to an older CM6000-AS guide : https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=1092 The controller will come with
only a two page wiring diagram and programming guide.
The Compustar CM6000 has 4 menu's of programming options plus two Special Option Groups. Programming in the 4
meuns can be done with a 4 button remote but the Special Option Groups are accessible only with the OP-500 Programmer.
This is similar to Directed products, like the Viper systems, and the BitWriter programmer.
If you can't find any Compustar sources with an internet search, PM me.
Soldering is fun!
ace_boy2099 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2013 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
To add onto what kreg was saying, depending on how long the seller has been "sitting on" the control module(s) you may get an older firmware which will affect certain add-on devices (such as RPS-Touch) and changes some programming options, To update the firmware of the control Module you will need the "ADS-USB Link Cable" (which comes with the OP500 Option Programmer or is available seperate) and internet access (which you obviously have) to the idatalink site and using the WebLink v6.3 (or newer) update the control module, during updating you can also program the 4 basic options tables (no special options Group though), and if you have a blade module with that KLON functionality you can program that too.
I haven't used that KLON thingy myself so I don't know how that works, I only installed one in my truck that didn't need a bypass but I was able to update it to get my features working.
In the downloads section if you search "cm6000" you will get 6 or so results, including a firmware version 2, 6, and 7(most up to date as far as I know) install guide booklets in .pdf fromat.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic