icon

troubleshooting audio loss

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
austinjasonxxx 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2013 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
I was driving from the house this morning and sub stopped playing. Stopped and checked all connection, everything secure. Got back home checked amp. Has power, rca's are secure, power ground and remote secure. No protection light on. Checked sub wiring with multimeter, read correct impedance. My only guess is that for some reason the rca's on the back of the head unit are the problem. Any suggestions ?
I should mention that the interior speakers didn't quit just the sub.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2013 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
The amp's fuse(s)?
austinjasonxxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
All the fuses are good.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Disconnect and check the resistance of the subwoofer voice coils.
Support the12volt.com
austinjasonxxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
2 ohms.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
OK, so sounds like the speakers are likely still good. Could be your amp just died. Take it to a car audio shop and ask them to test it. Or you can do a rough test yourself to see if it's working. Disconnect the woofer, set the meter to AC Volts and connect across the speaker output terminals. Play some material. What's the output voltage?
Support the12volt.com
austinjasonxxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
.015-.026
DYohn 
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
austinjasonxxx wrote:
.015-.026
Volts? Assuming the system was on, either the amp is toast or it is receiving no input.
Support the12volt.com
austinjasonxxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it was on and measured in ac volts. My original thought was for some reason the rca's came unhooked from the head unit. They should have about 4-5 volts running through th correct. So if I checked them at the amp end I should show voltage if they are indeed connected.
DYohn 
Posted: August 05, 2013 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
austinjasonxxx wrote:
Yes it was on and measured in ac volts. My original thought was for some reason the rca's came unhooked from the head unit. They should have about 4-5 volts running through th correct. So if I checked them at the amp end I should show voltage if they are indeed connected.
Yes, chack for all proper connections before you do anything. The RCA should have between 0.25 and 5 AC volts, depending on the volume level. It is possible the head unit subwoofer output has quit (or gotten turned off, which I assume you checked?)
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic