icon

65 riviera clamshell headlight actuator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forcedfed 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2013 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 65 Buick Riviera with the clamshell headlight doors and I replaced the headlight motor with an actuator. I'm trying to get the actuator to open the clamshell headlights with the trigger of the headlight wire, and retract (close) when the lights are off.
This seems simple, and forgive me if this setup has been posted 100 times, I looked around before I posted!
Here is my problem.. I heard that I can accomplish this with a single DPDT relay.. I don't want a switch on the dash, I want it to work like it did from the dealership. I found some diagrams but my relay has posts that are numbered totally different than what I have seen. It appears to be a common relay.
I have an R14-11D10-12 DPDT relay, the actuator has internal limit switches that are set and work fine, it's a common 2 wire actuator. Wired one way it extends, reverse the wires and it retracts.
Thanks in advance!
65 riviera clamshell headlight actuator -- posted image.
-Shawn
forcedfed 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

No ideas yet, huh?.. it doesn't even have to be done with this DPDT relay.. If I can wire a couple "regular" automotive relays to get the actuator to extend to its limit when triggered by the headlight wire and close to its limit when the power is turned off I'd be O.K. with that!

Thanks again

-Shawn
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2013 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
This is my first attempt at creating/modifying an existing relay diagram. Forgive the crudeness.
This is a basic polarity reversing scheme. The coil is energized by the headlight ON power. This is the center connection on the dimmer switch. This wire is also found on the back of the headlight switch. On GM's this wire is yellow in color. 1965 MAY be the earlier black wires with colored stripes, in this case TEST, or use the center connection on the dimmer switch.
When the headlights are ON, relay is energized, and doors open. Internal limit switches cut off motor power when fully open.
When headlights are off, relay coil de energizes, polarity is reversed, doors close. Internal limit switches cut off motor power in closed position.
You want the N.C. contacts to be the CLOSE polarity because the relay coil is de energized to close.
65 riviera clamshell headlight actuator -- posted image.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,365
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2013 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
hi,
the hot w/ headlights on can also be light blue, yellow is the color of the wire for later years. The dash harness colors do not necessarily match the front lighting harness colors.
mark

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic