icon

looking for the proximity switch basics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bdgibson4 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Hello again everyone! I am going on another wiring adventure in the near future and think I am going to incorporate a proximity switch into the mix. The plan is to make an "auto on" back up light harness for a UTV. The older Polaris machines had a 6 wire output from the transmission switch that triggered the gauge cluster display. There was corrosion issues with the switch and on the newer models it is internal with a 2 wire output. The ECM and gauge are triggered off of resistance so the task of triggering a relay off the reverse signal to the gauge cluster has become very difficult, if not impossible??
My plan is to rig up a proximity sensor on the shift linkage to trigger the lights like this gentleman did: looking for the proximity switch basics -- posted image.
Now I have never used one of these switches before, and would like to gather some information from the experts! There are different diameters, sensing distance, and sensing styles. I am thinking the Magnetic would be the way to go, but as far as the distance I have no idea.
Here are my thoughts:
1. The switch needs to be accurate - the variance in the linkage positioning between park, reverse, neutral, and drive will be minimal. IE when I am in park or neutral, half of the magnet my be in front of the sensor. Will this work? Will the sensor only trigger when the target is dead center in front of it?
2. The linkage is metal - would simply putting a thin insulator between the target and linkage be sufficient to get around this, or be needed at all?
3. I have control of the mounting depth so I can get the sensor as close or as far as needed from the linkage. I would assume I would want the minimal available sensing distance and adjust my mount to meet this? That should overcome my issues from #1 and #2 correct?
Any and all information is appriciated
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a reason to not use a rugged weather rated mechanical switch? I would think that would be easier than worrying about sensing distance on the proximity switch. You could easily get a switch with a roller tip that is depressed when the linkage is in the correct position.
bdgibson4 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
I never really thought about it? I will look it...
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2013 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
I would look in to a capacitance proximity switch. They sense the presence of metal in front of the sensor. By being able to adjust the depth you should be able to get it to work. Unfortunately, a lot of times you need to just try out the application to see if it will actually work!
Kevin Pierson
bdgibson4 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have been looking into a roller style momentary switch lately. What are the feelings on that? I could adhere a "bump" or one material or another to the linkage such that it would depress the roller/ball on the switch when in the correct gear. Would that be a better idea for a harsh environment application?
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I think the roller bump is the way to go, they build them for harsh industrial environments. Just be sure to buy one that is rated for the weather.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds good. I like the thought of a mechanical switch.
Opticals are prone top contamination; Halls may be good but tricky to adjust (and need circuitry of using a raw sensor), etc etc.
But yes - must be ingress tolerant(grime, heat, liquids).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic