icon

out of range when remote started

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greeky510 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2013 at 4:42 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed a Viper 5704 with a DB-ALL wired in D2D on my 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. Everything works fine when the car is off but the second i hit the Remote start button no commands are accepted from the remote and i get an out of range message.
I have even pulled a dedicated ground 10awg wire straight from the battery to eliminate any bad grounds but still the same problem.
I dont know if this means anything but my DBALL keep blinking a green light continuously as soon as i hit the remote start button.
DBALL connections are as follows:
14 pin connector
2. Violet / YELLOW to OBDII pin 2 J1850
8. Yellow: Ignition to Pin 3 car side
9. Orange / YELLOW: Ignition to Pin 3 Immobilizer side
12 pin connector
8. Violet/Green: Parking Lights MUX Input to Pin 11 Headlight switch
9. Violet/Brown: Parking Lights MUX Output to Pin 11 Headlight switch
10 pin connector
9. Pink: Ignition Input to same wire as the Ignition + Output of Viper
D2D 4 pin connector to the D2D port of the Viper
Thank you in advance.
greeky510 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
OK, so I rechecked all the connections again and again (this has been going on for almost a year now) and everything in nice and secure. So I unplugged all the connectors and had the brain and bypass module on the floor of my jeep. Then i plugged everything on the brain and bypass module and the problem was intermittent.
The only thing I was moving was the antenna and antenna cable. So I removed the antenna and antenna cable from my other cars Viper 5904 and plugged it in on this car. It worked perfectly for about half an hour and then stopped.
I put the antenna I removed from the other car back on it and I am ordering a new antenna for my Jeep. $42 for the antenna and cable. I will let you know what happens when I receive it, probably on Tuesday.
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
I had a similar problem with a customers vehicle. I had to reprogram the remote.
greeky510 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
misterjimbo wrote:
I had a similar problem with a customers vehicle. I had to reprogram the remote.
I did perform a factory reset and deleted all remotes. I then paired only one remote. Worked good for 2 remote starts and then same issue. I'm getting the antenna on Thursday (today) so I will know if that fixes by tonight.
Thank you misterjimbo.
greeky510 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
OK, so I installed the new antenna. Reset the system and deleted all remotes. Then I paired the remotes, set to automatic, learned virtual tach and it worked for a bit but then it stopped.
I found that if I unlpug the antenna cable from the brain and plug it back in it works for a command or two before it stops working again.
I opened the brain and made sure all soldered connections on it looks good and not cracked. Since I'm about to break it into a million pieces I will take my soldering iron and go over all the soldering points on the brain.
And as a last effort to try and fix it I will buy a brain for around $50 and see if that fixes it if my soldering iron move doesn't work.
The car has been to two professional installers and they were both unable to find what is wrong with it. They both did not charge me anything but they did spend over an hour looking at connections, diagrams and bit writer settings.
Since I am very open to any suggestions, what do you guys think the problem might be?
greeky510 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
So, I removed the 5704 brain from the jeep and put it in my other car. Has been working perfectly for 2 days now.
I removed the 5904 brain from my other car and and put it in the Jeep, worked for 5 minutes and then stopped. Put it back in my other car and it works fine.
This confirms to what 4 professional installers have found, that its something with that specific car that stops the viper from working.
greeky510 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
One last time before i give up on this car. Can you please look over the connections and let me know if it looks ok? I'm starting to think that i messed up somewhere since i saw the an exact same car running the same Viper 5704 with the same DB-ALL module. Thank you!
out of range when remote started -- posted image.
out of range when remote started -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
Strange problem. First let me say I don't use DB-ALL's ( prefer Fortin and iDatalink ) and I always wire
things up in W2W mode.
Looking over your wiring, everything looks correct, including the Viper programming.
Before you give up, why not try a few things.
First, while it shouldn't matter, move the DB-ALL's J1850 wire to Yellow/Violet ( or Yellow/Black ) wire at
Pin 5 of the Black SKIM transponder connector ( where you interrupted the Blue/White Ignition wire ).
As a final attempt...
I know it's a bit of a pain, but convert over to the W2W install mode. Ensure all wire connections are soldered.
Soldering is fun!
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
This has happened to me once. The issue seems like the vehicle emits some signal that interrupts the antenna. Real strange but only way to really tell is to test components in the vehicle... maybe remove radio and see what it does.
Eric
Audiomaxx
528 East Fordham Road
Bronx NY 10458
Compustar Top Gun Dealer Award 2012-2013
greeky510 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
@ Kreg357
Thank you man. I was starting to be really insecure that i messed up something with the wiring. When i have my two weeks off of work in a month or so i will follow your suggestions. I will let you know then.
@enice
Thank you. Even though the only thing i could come up with was interference from the car, not once did i think about removing components. It does make sense though. Did you end up solving it?
Since vehicle interference with the remote start is what i thought too i wrapped the brain and every single cable attached to it for atleast 5 inches from the brain with aluminum foil. Then i wrapped the antenna cable with aluminum foil and had it as far away from the car the cable would reach (about 4 feet out the drivers window). Then i made a dish shape from the aluminum foil and only left the antenna open to facing away from the vehicle. Behind the foil the remote wouldnt work, not even 2 inches from the antenna. It still wouldnt work when remote started.
Anyway, the next thing i am going to try is remove every single fuse that is not vital to the engine running and will let you know my findings.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic