icon

2013 dodge avenger, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought a 2013 Dodge Avenger. I'm looking to install a remote start/keyless entry unit in it before the snow flies. Currently I'm looking at the Viper 4204 paired with the idatalink ADS-ALSL CH, however I have a couple questions.

1) I've never wired an interface D2D. I've always gone W2W. With going D2D will the two commicate fine with each other? I would assume so, but I would like to know for sure before I buy anything.

2)I'm thinking about using the ADS-HRN CH5 ignition harness to make life a little easier during the install. Does that already incorporate the d1N4001 diode in the ADS-ALSL CH install guide? I just need to know whether I need to stop by a Radio Shack to pick one up.

Also, is there anything else I need to know? I've done a few installs in the past, and this looks pretty straight forward. 

Thanks in advance!

Chris 

shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  

After researching both the Fortin EVO-All and iDatalink modules, I guess my question is will the Viper 4204 work D2D with these. Will it be one way, or two way D2D? I can't find hardly any info on the Viper module.

Worst case scenario is I go w2w with everything. I just thought I'd try it d2d if it would make life easier.

triniforever 
Copper - Posts: 323
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
If I'm not mistaken Computstar and Audiovox products speak the same language with Idatalink modules so D2D works flawlessly with them .With Viper or DEI products when using an Idatalink module ,when you flash the module you have to put it into DBI mode for use in D2D mode .Fortin and Idatalink are both great products but I'm partial to Idatalink for the simple fact that I've been using them for so long ,the ease of wiring and simple programming . And some advice most installers will give you D2D is great and cuts down on install time ,however it's kinda difficult to troubleshoot ,W2W is just a couple more wires and it makes the install bulletproof and troubleshooting is a lot more simple.That car the 2013 Avenger if using an idatalink module ,you actually connect 5 wires to the car plus the power wire to the battery,in W2W mode , it's a very simple install and should not take that much time ........ Good luck
triniforever
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
There is a Pictorial on a Jeep Patriot remote starter install using an iDatalink bypass module ( CH5 in W2W mode ). Should be pretty similar to the Avenger you have.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=130393&tpn=1&PN=1
Soldering is fun!
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks triniforever. That's exactly what I wanted to know!

About a year or so ago I Installed a Viper RS unit my '07 Wrangler and I used an iDatalink interface. The install looks very similar to the Avenger. I went W2W with that install and it worked out great. If I'm not mistaken, Kreg gave me a few pointers along the way on that one.

Although I've alway had good luck with the Viper RS units, I'm not dead set on using it. From what I've read their quality has gone downhill recently. On the other hand, Compustar seems to have a pretty solid name in terms of reliability. I've never installed a Compustar unit, but I imagine the basics have to be similar. Can either of you recommend a Compustar unit(and remote set) for me? I'm looking for something with keyless entry(including trunk release) and a good range. Something like 1500-2000 feet. I don't need an alarm system or any fancy fobs.

Thanks for the help!

kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
The Viper is a decent unit if you pay attention to the details.
The Compustar CM6200-s and the RF-1WG5-SS remote kit should serve your needs. The remotes
are one way but have great range. Figure about $140 for both, delivered.
Here is a link to the CM6200-s install guide : https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=980
Not as many AUX outputs as a Viper system but it will do D2D with an ADS bypass module or you
could even use the Blade AL cartridge if you have a source that can flash it for you.
Soldering is fun!
kreg357 
Posted: August 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
As for the Viper and D2D, both bypass modules ( ADS AL CA and the EVO-ALL ) can be flashed
to support the Viper's DBI D2D comm protocol. Never tried an install like that but I have heard it
works much better than a Viper going D2D with a DB-ALL.
Going W2W always works...   2013 dodge avenger, remote start -- posted image.
Soldering is fun!
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
I'll have to check out the install guide this weekend.
I'm a little confused by the Compustar part numbers. Is the CM6200s the same as a FT6200s? I found a set of two way remotes I'm interested in but they say they're compatible with the FT6200s. They're part number RF 2WG5 900SH.
kreg357 
Posted: August 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yes CM6200s and FT6200s are the same thing.
The RF 2WG5 900SH is one 2 way remote and one 1 way remote, both with
3000 foot range.
Soldering is fun!
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kreg. Some of the listings I've found for the FT6200s pictured a unit with a CM6200s sticker on it. I couldn't figure out whether they were the same or whether the retailer screwed up and posted the wrong photo.
My last remote starter got me spoiled with it's two way function. It was really nice to be able to start my vehicle from work without having to see the vehicle's parking lights to make sure it was running. I wish the RF 2WG5 900SH came with two, two way remotes, but that's fine. Most of the time I always use the same set of keys anyway.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic