icon

adding amp to caddy with bose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I hate to sound stupid, but even though I've installed several systems in different vehicles over the years, I've never installed any in a vehicle with a Bose. And now I know why. It started out as a simple install with the power, ground and remote wires. Then, when trying to connect rca's for the amp, I've ran into several different problems. The Caddy CTS has a factory sub with just one set of wires going to it. I was told by a local shop that I can tap into these wires with a line level convertor, just twist the 2 positive leads and 2 negative leads on the convertor together and connect them to the factory wires this way, simple right? Thats what I've done and now the amp gets very hot. I'm wondering if that is the problem. The amp is an old school Fosgate Punch 500 and the sub is a Fosgate 4 ohm DVC wired in parallel, amp is bridged. That shouldn't be a problem. What else could cause the amp to get so hot?
'85 Toy
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
Really need advice. Anybody?
'85 Toy
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Are you sure that amp is 2 ohm MONO stable? If it is a 2 channel amp it is not 2 ohm MONO stable.
Do the speaker terminals have Left and Right written near them?
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
You're probably right. I don't have the manual for the amp since it's so old. I will try wiring the sub in series and running the amp mono and see if that helps. As far as the speaker wires, if you're referring to the factory wires in the Caddy, none of them are marked. That's where I was thinking by me wiring the convertor in with the factory sub wire, it might not be right. The local shop said to take the 2 positive wires on the convertor and hook them both to the 1 positive wire going to the factory sub. The same for the 2 negative wires on the convertor to the 1 negative wire for the factory sub. Seems to me like thats putting both the left and right channel going into the convertor together, and I figured that might be causing a problem. He says he does it all of the time. I've never done one like that before, I usually go to the 2 rear factory speaker wires and tap into them.
'85 Toy
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
I was asking about the speaker terminals of the Rockford amp. With that information I will be able to tell you if it is a 1 or 2 channel amplifier.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it has left and right. It's a 2 channel amp.
'85 Toy
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
It is NOT 2 ohm mono stable. Either series the woofers or connect them in stereo.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not using "woofer's", just 1 subwoofer. I have it wired to just the left channel of the amp now and it's still getting hot. Does the way they told me to wire the convertor have anything to do with it? Should I connect the convertor to the 2 rear speakers instead?
'85 Toy
i am an idiot 
Posted: September 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Power the amp up and leave it on for 5 minutes with ZERO volume. Monitor it every minute or so to see if it heats up with no sound. Is it a dual voice coil driver? What is the impedance of the voice coil(s)?
When checking to see if it is heating up, notice if one side of the amp is heating up sooner than the other.
supradude 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2013 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
It's a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub wired in parallel.
'85 Toy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic