icon

2003 jeep liberty speaker whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
powerslave 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2013 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
To find out where the ground loop is, Remove the INPUT wires from the amp, and test for WHINE. If it is there, it's the GROUND to the AMPLIFIER. If not, it's the input leads.
Grounds must be to bare metal, and the radio ground wire is not a good ground for an amplifier.
Do not put grounds in different spots, ground all your amps to the same post.
Use a thicker gauge wire for your ground, so if your power wire is 10, us an 8 for the ground.
See these links:
http://knowledge......com/car-audio-and-video/accessories-and-installation/how-to-eliminate-engine-noise.html
http://www.bcae1.com/audiots.htm
nightowl2 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2013 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
powerslave wrote:
To find out where the ground loop is, Remove the INPUT wires from the amp, and test for WHINE. If it is there, it's the GROUND to the AMPLIFIER. If not, it's the input leads.
Grounds must be to bare metal, and the radio ground wire is not a good ground for an amplifier.
Do not put grounds in different spots, ground all your amps to the same post.
Use a thicker gauge wire for your ground, so if your power wire is 10, us an 8 for the ground.
See these links:
http://knowledge......com/car-audio-and-video/accessories-and-installation/how-to-eliminate-engine-noise.html
http://www.bcae1.com/audiots.htm
As soon as I remove the RCA's from the amp the sound went away. I tried running a ground from the back of the stereo to where the amps are grounded, but that did not help. The ground loop isolators did the trick.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2013 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
The ground wire is supposed to be shortest as possible running it to the amps ground is a big no no
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2013 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried isolating the ground path between the radio and amp????
Run a ground from the radio to amp. It may also be possible that the Sony deck could have an open circuit inside. Pioneers are notorious for this if you hot plug the RCAS while the stereo is on.
*****Here is what you should try next****
Connect a wire to the ground behind the radio and run it to the ground on the amp!!!
You can also try wrapping a wire around the ground on the RCA's at the back of the radio and connecting it to the ground at the back of the radio or the outer chassis of the radio.
I know the second one sounds crazy... but if the radio has an open circuit on the pre-amp it may get rid of 95% of your noise!!!
If you try either one of these and you still have bad noise and you are positive that your grounds are good... IT'S TIME TO START PARTS SWAPPING START WITH THE RADIO THEN MOVE TO THE AMP!!!
there can be only one.......
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2013 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
After having read this post more carefully, I believe your problem is a poor ground at the wires in back of the radio harness. It could also be attributed to a poor body ground from the battery to the chassis of the the Jeep itself. About 75% of the time ground loop is caused from some sort of installation problem, 20% product not performing to specification, 5% issue with the car.
there can be only one.......
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2013 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
I totally agree with the last post
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
nightowl2 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
skee-weezy wrote:
Have you tried isolating the ground path between the radio and amp????
Run a ground from the radio to amp. It may also be possible that the Sony deck could have an open circuit inside. Pioneers are notorious for this if you hot plug the RCAS while the stereo is on.
*****Here is what you should try next****
Connect a wire to the ground behind the radio and run it to the ground on the amp!!!
You can also try wrapping a wire around the ground on the RCA's at the back of the radio and connecting it to the ground at the back of the radio or the outer chassis of the radio.
I know the second one sounds crazy... but if the radio has an open circuit on the pre-amp it may get rid of 95% of your noise!!!
If you try either one of these and you still have bad noise and you are positive that your grounds are good... IT'S TIME TO START PARTS SWAPPING START WITH THE RADIO THEN MOVE TO THE AMP!!!
skee-weezy wrote:
After having read this post more carefully, I believe your problem is a poor ground at the wires in back of the radio harness. It could also be attributed to a poor body ground from the battery to the chassis of the the Jeep itself. About 75% of the time ground loop is caused from some sort of installation problem, 20% product not performing to specification, 5% issue with the car.
The only thing I haven't really checked (other than looking at it) it the ground from the battery to the chassis. The rest has been tried and posted here. I might try upgrading the ground cable in the spring or whenever I am able to upgrade the system. That of course might not be for a year or so! Right now, this issue has been resolved so until or unless there is another issue, the system sounds great. The next step is saving for a quality system...from the head unit back...at that time, I think I will upgrade the alternator, probably the battery, the ground, and two layers of sound deadening.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
What ever you do don't use fatmat...
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova