the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

remote start on a manual why compliated?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joekitch 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
i've been pondering why systems like computstar have their "reservation mode" on their remote starts for manual transmissions.
well, not WHY but why so complex and expensive?
the entire purpose of the reservation mode procedure is to make sure the car is in neutral with the parking brake on....why not just install sensors directly to detect these states? just a couple of reed switches on the stick shift to make sure the stick is not in any gear, and a sensor on the parking brake activation line to make sure it's engaged.
is it mostly liability? like if somehow the neutral detection sensors fail PLUS the ebrake fails at the same time, they could be held liable?
could i hack something like this myself by just making a relay which keeps the remote starter module unpowered until it's in neutral and the brake is applied?
impossible is nothing; use a breakout board.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
OK, here is my two cents on the subject.
Don't think I can do a direct link to this YouTube Video, but do a search on "Mustang Crashes into Shop" in YouTube.
Interesting video. Guess the Parking Brake alone could not stop a car remote started in 1st gear. Good thing it wasn't
in a driveway with a few kids playing jump rope in front of the car.
Yes, for the remote start manufacturers it's a big liability thing. They even go so far as to point out that these units should
not be installed in convertibles or vehicles where the owner routinely leaves the windows down.   The install actually
bypass the vehicles clutch interlock, to allow the engine to start without the clutch pedal depressed. There are many
installers / shops that will shy away from this type of install.
Basically, the purpose of the somewhat elaborate "Reservation Mode" is to ensure the vehicle is left running after all
passengers have exited and the the last door is closed. At that point the remote start system locks the doors and shuts
down the engine. During the interim unused period the remote start system monitors all points of access to ensure
no entry into the vehicle is possible, prior to allowing the next remote start. If, at any time, a door is opened, Reservation
Mode is cancelled. This is just in case the shifter is moved into gear.
Most of the better remote start systems from quality manufacturers have models designed to support manual transmission
vehicles safely when installed properly. These systems don't cost any more but the install will due to the extra labor involved.
Some of the most user friendly and least cumbersome, are the units from Compustar. With units like this available, there is
no reason to try to create your own "hack".
Soldering is fun!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
I had a reed switch on my 1994 Chevy Cavalier. It worked every time but once. Luckily, for me, my car was in reverse, with the parking brake on, and there was a full size Chevy truck parked right behind me. My car started, rolled backward and hit the truck. There was a two hook on the front of the truck that took most of the impact and put a nice hole in my plastic bumper. Other then that, the magnet worked every time.
There are simply too many variables for a manufacturer to ship a few magnets and reed switches with each remote start. Every car is different and there are many shops who can't find the time to hook up tach wires or hood pins. How many would actually install the switches and verity they are 100% perfect?
Kevin Pierson
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, the reservation mode is a little elaborate, but after you've done it a few time, I imagine it's pretty easy. And, it beats freezing your butt off. remote start on a manual why compliated? -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic