icon

Passlock 2 Manual Bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
exley96 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2006 Chevy Express 3500 Cube van that I am installing a remote start and alarm system in and would like to bypass the Passlock 2 without having to buy the bypass module. I have come across a few different write ups of this and I am just stuck on which of the Passlock 2 wires I need to cut to put a resistor in place. I have a Yellow wire that is "Security System Sensor" and a Tan wire that is "Security System Sense Low Ref". Does anyone know which of these two needs to be cut in order to manually bypass the Passlock 2?
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
Funny thing, I came to the website to ask a passlock 2 question as well.
Here is the diagram, which can be found in the downloads section.
My question is, what is the purpose of the 1st relay on the left? Seems like all it's doing is amplifying the ground to the 86 of the 2nd relay (which by my observation is useless)...
Can I do without the 1st relay without any ill effects?
Passlock 2 Manual Bypass -- posted image.
exley96 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
So the Relay on the Left has 2 grounds?? And does this setup bypass the Passlock all the time or just for remote starting? And does it matter if you get the wires from the ignition or the BCM?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

Are you looking to permanently eliminate the Passlock2 system?  Cut the Yellow and solder the proper value

resistor between the Tan and the BCM side of the cut Yellow.

As for one relay or two, (-) Status Output ( GWR ) or  (-) Starter relay control...  There are many ways to bypass

the Passlock2 system.  Take a look at DEI Tech Tip 1048 and this diagram from Audiovox :
http://documents.audiovox.com/700054.pdf

Soldering is fun!
exley96 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Do I cut the TAN wire or just strip the insulation back and solder one end of the resistor in line with the TAN wire? I am still making up my mind if I want to Permanently disable it or just do the Relay method.
exley96 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Also if I wanted to do the first relay diagram in the DEI Tech tip 1048, my remote start/alarm doesn't have a wire output labeled "Status (-)", would I use "Armed Output (-)" or leave pin 85 of the relay with no connection?
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
hi,
the first relay operates upon remote starting. it stays latched throughout the run cycle of the remote start as well as when the ignition key is operated to take over operation of the vehicle.
this is probably to keep the vehicle from detecting an intermittent in the passlock II.
mark
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

The Tan wire stays intact.

Your R/S system should have an output to control a bypass module.  Depending on the brand, it might

be called Ground When Running ( G.W.R. ), (-) Third Ignition or the DEI term (-) Status Output.

If you are not having any of the common issues with the Passlock2 system currently, why not get a quality

bypass module and use that with the R/S?  I realize that a 1/4 watt resistor is a lot less expensive than a
bypass module, but unless you are installing a R/S with alarm + starter kill, you might as well keep the
Passlock2 immobilizer system intact and functional.  A data style bypass module like the ADS TBSL PL
goes for around $35.  You can do the bypass using the relay and resistor method for less than $10.

Plenty of options to consider...   Passlock 2 Manual Bypass -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Ween,
You are right about the latching part, I couldn't figure that out till you told me.
Just a photo of my diy setup. It took me about 45mins, not worth the time if you do it for a living.
My resistors are less than 1% off from the measurement of the ignition switch Passlock 2 Manual Bypass -- posted image.!
Passlock 2 Manual Bypass -- posted image.
kreg357 
Posted: November 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  
Yellow_Cake, nice job!  Passlock 2 Manual Bypass -- posted image.   Another good use for those 10 Amp mini-relays. 
Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic