Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rraabb11 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2013 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hi.
Car:2013 Honda Ridgeline
I'm hearing two different trains of thought regarding the key bypass.
Key under dash vs. idatalink. I live in cold region. For my own install, is one easier than the other to install?
One installer said the computer bypass has more chance to break.
Which one has the least connections?
With the keybox, do you have to put a ring around the ignition?
Automate 4214a or DEI 4205v? Both Directed products.
Anyone in the Buffalo area do installs?
Thank you.
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2013 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
you can go either way. the cold shouldnt make one better than the other. I always use the data bypass for an easier install. The key-in-a-box requires an antenna ring to be placed around the ignition which can be a bit of a hassle
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2013 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

If you can get an ADS AL CA bypass module flashed with the DBI AL(DL) HA1 firmware, that would make your

install very easy.  Go with D2D communications between the R/S and the bypass.  The ADS AL CA will handle
the transponder bypass, locks and alarm plus supply the brake and Tach signals.   Here is a link to the install
guide : http://cdncontent2.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/DL-HA1/DBI-AL(DL)-HA1-EN_20130916.pdf

The Audiovox FLCAN flashed with FLC-AL(DL)-HA1 is the same thing.

Soldering is fun!
rraabb11 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
I got all the parts today. The bypass was flashes. What do you mean by a D2D communication? Also, can you suggest a good website and style for t taps? I'm not afraid to solder two wires together, I'm just not comfortable splicing into a wire.
Thank you.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  

What parts did you get?     4214a or 4205v?

Which bypass did you get?     iDatalink ADS AL CA or FLCAN?

Which firmware and version is flashed onto the bypass module? 

Basically D2D is using the 4 Pin harness between the R/S and the bypass to handle the inter-module communications.  These are all the dashes Red lines on the iDatalink Type 1 install diagram.  You will need a DBI type D2D harness.  I'm not sure if the seller included it with the bypass module ( it comes with the FLCAN module ).  Without the D2D harness, you can go W2W between the modules by hard-wiring all the necessary dashed Red lines.   

As for T-Taps, I can't recommend any style or brand.  The only way I install a system is with all soldered connections.   If you can solder two wires together, the only thing extra needed is the ability to gently remove a small section of insulation from the correct wire to make the splice connection and some Scotch Super 33+ electric tape.  I believe T-Taps are not recommended by any R/S or bypass manufacturer and will fail eventually.

Soldering is fun!
rraabb11 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Actually got a good deal on a Viper 4203v
IDatalink ADS AL CA
Flashed with the firmware you suggested.
It came with 3 harnesses per the directions can go into the same slot.
A) blue/white, empty, black, red
B) same as above, but includes a white wire in the empty slot and has a 4 wire plug on end.
C) same as A, but has a larger, red 4 wire plug on end in a different order.
Id prefer as little connections as possible, so
D2D is the preferred method.
I think I may try to solder the method you suggested.
Few questions if I may. I'm very appreciative of your help.
Solder while connected or disconnected to bypass or R/S? Seems obvious but thought I'd ask.
Do you cut the wires you don't use or bundle? Assuming I won't remove with sale.
Plug in harness that isn't necessary?
I see I'll need to solder :
Data
Security light input
Security light output
Door lock data wire
Ignition
In the Ridgeline, it states the door lock data wire is in the drivers door harness. Would you happen to know where that is?
Also, would this starter render my factory key fob unlock useless? How come if it's only a one button remote? Ideas if this may be an issue?
Should I cut the wires for left/right slider door, trunk (ridgeline does have one), trunk and door status, etc
What's there e brake wire for?
I think my quarters up here with question and I'm probably showing I should have this professionally installed, but a few more.
"Ground when running from remote started must be provided before ignition". What does this mean?
Also:
"Do not program door unlock before start on the remote starter"
"Do not change remote starter oem alarm control default settings"
Wow. I'll probably have a bunch more. I love learning about this subject. I really appreciate your help.
Rob
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
A couple red flags I'm getting from your posts...
1) you sound like you are trying to find the easy way out on this install. When it comes to a remote start there is no easy way out. You either do it right or you have problems. Plan on the install taking you at least 3-4 hours to do correctly.
2) No offense, but the questions you are asking are some very basic questions that anyone with experience should never have to ask. A remote start is not a good DIY project. 1 bad connection can end up completely destroying a computer module in the vehicle and cost you thousands of dollars.... I've seen it happen.
3) D2D will save you a few connections, but W2W is a hell of lot more reliable and easier to test if you ever have issues in the future. It's worth the extra few minutes to make your connections manually.
4) The only way to know if the factory fob will work will be to start the car with the key and try to use the remote... If my memory serves me right, the factory fob will not work when the car is running.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kreg357 
Posted: December 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

Many good points from Kenny.   key or rf bypass? -- posted image.

Here are some more answers...

Ahhh!  The Viper 4203V is a one button R/S system.  Luckily it also has the "unlock after remote start" feature.  Read

the owners manual for more info.  Honda vehicles turn off their RKE system when the engine is running, rendering your
factory FOB's useless when the engine is running under a remote start. 

Personally, I always go with W2W.  It takes longer and doesn't look as neat as D2D but it always works.

If you got the ADS AL CA flashed with the DBI AL(DL) HA1 firmware, you should be able to go D2D with the Viper using

the 4 Pin harness you listed as "C" ( with the Red connector on one end ).  That Red plug should fit into the Vipers D2D
port.   You would follow the Type 1 diagram shown in the #12095 install guide.  All of the dashed Red wire connections
are handled by the D2D harness.  Only the solid Black wires would be hard-wired.

I always bench prep the two modules together prior to vehicle install.  Any totally unused connectors can be left off.  All

un-used wires are cut to ~1.5 inches and neatly bundled together with heat shrink tube.  I rarely disconnect the vehicles
battery, preferring to do the install "hot" with all R/S, bypass and vehicle connectors in place.

If you go with D2D, don't worry about sliding door, EBrake, etc.  They will be ignored.  If you go W2W, only hard-wire the

necessary signals.  The Type 1 install diagram is generic to many Honda vehicles and shows things that the Ridgeline
doesn't have.

Soldering is fun!
rraabb11 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2014 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
ok, I think I've decided to bench prep it all and then have a guy install. I enjoy sodering and am actually decent at it. would you mind please helping me out with the connections?
STARTER
primary harness
light green black     (-) factory alarm disarm
TO:
brown     disarm (-) input on BYPASS

GREEN / WHITE     (-) factory alarm arm     
TO:
?
yellow     (+) ign out to alarm     
TO:
?
WHITE/ blue     activation input
TO:
?     
orange     (-) ground locked
TO:
?     
brown     (-) horn
TO:
not used     
RED / white     (-) trunk release
TO:
not used     
black     ground input     
TO:
bundled ground wires
white      (+/-) parking light flash     
TO:
RED / black (+) under fuse box in HONDA
STARTER
remote harness     

BLACK/ white     (-) nuetral safety     
TO:
green (-) ebrake status on BYPASS
violet/white     tach input     
TO:
PURPLE / white     tach (ac) output on BYPASS
brown     (+) brake shutdown input
TO:
?
gray     (-) hood pin
TO:
yellow     hood status on BYPASS
blue/white     (-) rear defogger
TO:
not used
STARTER
heavy harness
pink     output to ing     
TO:
?
purple     output to starter     
TO:
?
orange     output to access.     
TO:
?
red     (+) high current 12v     
TO:
?
pink/white     output to 2nd ign     
TO:
?
red     (+) high current 12v     
TO:
12v power source?
STARTER
satellite harness
blue     (-) status output
TO:
blue/white     gwr (-) input on BYPASS
orange     (-) access output     
TO:
?
purple     (-) starter output     
TO:
?
pink     (-) ignition output     
TO:
?     
STARTER
door harness     

blue     (-) unlock output
TO:
blue/black     unlock (-) input on BYPASS
(empty)     (empty) NA

green     (-) lock output
TO:
GREEN/ black     lock/alrm (-) input on BYPASS
BYPASS WIRES REMAINING:
BLACK/ white     starter (+) input
TO:
?     

yellow/black     door status (-) output     
TO:
?     

ORANGE / black     key data     
TO:
RED / blue at ignition switch on HONDA?

orange      doorlock data
TO:     
BROWN / black at drivers door harness on HONDA?

pink     ignition (+) input     
TO:
BLACK / YELLOW or BLACK/ green at ignition switch harness on HONDA?

WHITE/ black     security light input     
TO:
blue/orange at ignition switch on HONDA?
WHITE/ red     security light output     
TO:
blue/orange at ignition switch on HONDA?
red
TO:
12v power source? bundled with others?
black
TO:
bundled ground wires
kreg357 
Posted: January 05, 2014 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

Ok.  Here goes...

If you got the ADS AL CA bypass module flashed with the DBI AL(DL) HA1 firmware :

You will set the ADS AL CA bypass module to Installation Mode = Data.  The instructions for this are in the #12095
install guide at the top of Page 8.   You will be following the Type 1 wiring diagram, using the info on Page 4 to
locate the 4 vehicle wires the bypass module must connect to.  Aside from the D2D harness, only one other wire
must be run between the 4203 and the ADS AL CA.  Connect the ADS AL CA PURPLE / White Tach Output wire to the
4203's H2/2 Violet/White Tach Input wire.  From the ADS AL CA, connect the Pink Ignition Input wire to the Ridgelines
transponder connector Pin 6 BLACK/ Green Ignition wire.  That takes care of the bypass module.  Here is the 4203 to
vehicle wiring :

H1/1 LIGHT GREEN/ BLACK FACTORY ALARM DISARM    Handled by D2D

H1/2 GREEN / WHITE FACTORY REARM    Not Used  
H1/3 YELLOW (+) IGNITION OUT (TO ALARM)      Not Used
H1/4 WHITE/ BLUE (-) ACTIVATION INPUT   Not Used
H1/5 ORANGE (-) GROUND WHEN LOCKED*        Not Used
H1/6 BROWN (-) HORN OUTPUT GREEN/ YELLOW (-)  horn switch
H1/7 RED / WHITE (-) TRUNK RELEASE OUTPUT* Not Used
H1/8 BLACK GROUND      Chassis Ground
H1/9 WHITE (+/-) LIGHT FLASH *** Set Viper to (-)  ***           blue (-)  headlight switch,

H2/1 BLACK/ WHITE (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH INPUT         Chassis Ground

H2/2 VIOLET/WHITE TACHOMETER INPUT WIRE ADS AL CA Violet/White Tach wire
H2/3 BROWN (+) BRAKE SWITCH SHUTDOWN WIRE      lt. blue (+)  brake switch
H2/4 GRAY (-) HOOD PINSWITCH SHUTDOWN WIRE     Supplied by D2D ( if factory equipped )
H2/5 BLUE/WHITE (-) 200mA 2ND STATUS/REAR DEFOG OUTPUT         Not Used

4-pin satellite harness wiring daigram

1 BLUE STATUS OUTPUT      Not Used       handled by D2D
2 ORANGE (-) ACCESSORY OUTPUT   Not Used
3 PURPLE (-) STARTER OUTPUT       Not Used
4 PINK (-) STARTER OUTPUT   Not Used

Heavy gauge relay wiring diagram

1 PINK (+) (30 AMP) OUTPUT TO IGNITION CIRCUIT   BLACK / YELLOW (+)  ignition switch   
2 PURPLE (+) (30 AMP) OUTPUT TO STARTER CIRCUIT         BLACK/ white (+)  ignition switch
3 ORANGE (+) (30 AMP) OUTPUT TO ACCESSORY CIRCUIT yellow (+)  ignition switch
4 RED (+) (30A) HIGH CURRENT 12 INPUT      white (60A) (+)   ignition switch
5 PINK/WHITE (+) PROGRAMMABLE OUTPUT FOR ACC2       WHITE/ black (+)  ignition switch   *** Menu 2, Item 6, Option 2
6 RED (+) (30A) HIGH CURRENT 12V INPUT   white (60A) (+)   ignition switch

Door lock harness, 3-pin connector

1 BLUE (-) UNLOCK OUTPUT        Handled by D2D
2 EMPTY NOT USED
3 GREEN (-) LOCK OUTPUT*         Handled by D2D, but not used

You purchased a one button R/S system.  You will be able to unlock the doors during a remote start with the Viper.  You

will not be able to lock the doors with the Viper remote.

Viper programming :

Menu 2, Item 1 to Option 4  Tach Mode
Optional
Menu 1, Item 1, Option 2  Horn confirmation

All wire connections should be soldered. 

Here is a link to ReadyRemote for more vehicle wiring info :

http://www.readyremote.com/main.asp?make=Honda&model=Ridgeline

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic