icon

2001 buick century vats transponder wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jr789 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2013 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hi 2001 buick century vats transponder wires -- posted image.
     When wiring the Direct electronics universal bypass module # 20402 or 29402. Does it matter which of the two wires from the key are cut and which is spliced ie the Prpl/blk or Wht/blk? There is no indication in the schematic indicating so. Is this because the circuit is basically a loop?
    P.S What is a good 12 volt source for the grn/wht wire? Shouldn't it be connected to a fused source? How many amps if so?

Thanks in advance 2001 buick century vats transponder wires -- posted image.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Have you located your VATS wires in the Century yet?  It's been a while since I did one of these, but I

remember them being very thin, delicate, White wires in an Orange tube.  You can cut and splice into either
one.  They are a real PITA to solder, so try to use a 25W or 40W pencil iron.

As for the +12V power, I usually just connect that to the R/S's main power input wires, after the fuse.  The

bypass module does not use very much power.  If you want to fuse it, go for 3 or 5 Amps.

Soldering is fun!
jr789 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks
      Kreg , yes i found them , i connected them past the plugin connector ,(the two color coded 20g wires) (but in the beginning cut the fine vats wires and re-soldered them (a test of nerves) The transponder is still not sending a signal to the brain, a local directed installer said do away with the vats system with a resistor. I would still like to get the transponder to override the ignition. Any ideas why the brain would not be getting a signal from the transponder ??
       Thanks
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2013 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

VATS is a fairly simplex system.  Those two wires go up into the ignition switch and make contact with the resistor in

the inserted key.  I have always used those two thin VATS wires and connected close to the switch itself.  Your 29402
bypass module is nothing more than a relay and the correct "dip switch selected" resistor, similar to this Audiovox VATS
bypass diagram  :  http://documents.audiovox.com/700052.pdf    If I remember correctly, there is a security or theft light
on the dash that goes out when the key is inserted and turned to START.  The same thing should happen when you
apply chassis ground to the bypass modules' GWR wire and a R/S is initiated & cranks the starter.

If the security light is blinking, the car will not start-up, even with the problem corrected.  It's a 4 minute time out.

Directed has a kit ( 652T ) that has the 15 correct resistor values ( ~ $5 ) that you could use with a relay to do the bypass.

If you were installing an alarm system or having issues with the ignition cylinder going bad and putting the car in Tamper
Mode, you could do as the local shop said, just solder in the correct resistor and no more VATS. 

Here is a link to more info on the VATS system  :  http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

Soldering is fun!
jr789 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kreg
      The light bulb just came on 2001 buick century vats transponder wires -- posted image.
That must be where i have made a mistake by connecting it to the wires past the ignition cylinder vats wires. (where they plug into the harness).
        Hopefully the weather will hold out so i can make the necessary changes this weekend.
        Thanks again !!!!!!!
2001 buick century vats transponder wires -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic