icon

2 neons in trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Insanez24kid 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
I want to wire 2 neons tubes in my trunk.  After cutting the cigarette lighter adapter off, I was wondering if it is better to wire each to a separate switch or if I could put both on one toggle switch.  Also, can I connect them directly to the power source from the cig. lighter?  or would it be better to run them to something else, and do I need an inline fuse?  help?!?!
Derek
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

You certainly can connect them to one switch. I would suggest you buy a good quality switch or the thing will break every few months. And yes you can tap into the cig power; each neon is at the max 2 amps depending on size etc. I would suggest that you do fuse the line near the switch and I would use a 4 or  5 amp fuse.

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with bberman1. I did the same thing, only they're not in the trunk. I have 2 neons under the dash, both hooked up to one switch, and I put an inline fuse in there too. I was going to suggest another power source, something closer to the trunk...but then you'll have to drag the wires for the switch to the dash anyway...so you might as well use the cig.
completeaudio 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2003 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
you can also use the wiring for you current trunk light if you would like them to come on when you open it up...
oose 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
I agree and have done what completeaudio suggests
KaMLuNg 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

hey insane.. its really easy to do neone in ur trunk.. i have a total of six in my car and 2 of them are in the trunk... u can defenitely wire them to a switch... i just wired it to my turn on line to my amp... since that line is already fused you don't have to worry about it... uhm i have a pic here for u... if you don't have an amp or an existing power line into the trunk.. i think you should go with the trunk light as other ppl has stated... good luck and let us know how it goes....

KaMLuNg 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
completeaudio 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
dont use the remote wire to power the neons... if that is what he is suggesting.  this will cause damage to your headunit.  you can safely use the remote turn on for other accessories (such as neons) by using a relay configuration.
Insanez24kid 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for your help...i think i want to wire them directly to the trunk light wiring so that they come on every time i open the trunk lid.  How do i do this exactly though...  what wires do i use.  Is it just one power wire that i connect both neons to?  and then ground them individually?
Derek
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
KaMLuNg Are you getting the power for your neons  from the main power cable to the amp  or from the remote turn on lead?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic