icon

2011 jetta issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sean11901 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so i pull in a 2011 jetta and remove the steering column; after removing the column i like to test the keys and ignition to make sure there is nothing wrong with the car before beginning installation.. When i go to start the car with the key i am getting accessory power but when the key is turn to the start position the cars power flickers on and off when holding the key in the start position and you can hear a relay clicking on and off.
the only thing that is weird is this red piece of plastic that fell onto the floor when removing the column
2011 jetta issue -- posted image.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
You have just described he normal functioning of an ACCessories circuit - off during cranking.
There's nothing weird about excess pieces after reassembly except perhaps for the experienced. The trick is finding out if it's essential, or just a decoy that manufacturers use to keep autoworkers employed.
sean11901 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
I understand that it's most likely a meaningless piece of plastic and I also described that the vehicle is not turning over and that the power is flickering.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, my bad.
First check is that its connectors are fully and properly connected. Then that it's grounded properly - maybe it's grounded thru mounting (not that ground is usually required).
And that the red thing doesn't have something to do with it.
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Are you seeing a 'Security' light on the dash with the key in the 'ON' position?
Is it doing this with both keys or just one?
Have you started the install yet, or have you only pulled out the column? If you started, check plug G at the BCM.
If it's a manual, make sure the clutch is up against the floor all the way before trying to start.
The way you're describing it -- the flickering and repetitive relay clicking -- makes me think either a wire is in the wrong spot (causing a short) or the battery is undercharged. Although you may see 12V on the battery, there may not be enough cranking amps to power the starter. If available, leave a charger on for a couple hours and try again.
Let us know if we can help more or if you have more symptoms!
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
freqsounds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, that plastic piece looks like a pin to lock a new spiral cable. Has the car been wrecked or had airbag issues?
sean11901 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't see security light because the cluster also flickers very fast. I tried jumping battery and I also tried giving the battery time to charge. Both keys are doing the same thing. And no I have not installed any wires yet. That is why I am so confused because I've never had this issue before
Thanks for helping
sean11901 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure if it had been worked on before. The customer got the car used.
sean11901 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
I will try leaving the charger on it overnight. What amperage should I set the charger to? Thanks
freqsounds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2014 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
It took me forever to do my last Jetta. The car needs a DBALL AND a 556UW and will consume a key for the install. I thought I had read there was bypass that doesn't consume a key, but I couldn't find the info again. Beware! 2011 jetta issue -- posted image.
If the immobilizer is causing the problem (not likely from the symptoms), simply putting the key in the ON position will display the security light. It'll blink if it can't see the key.
Can you confirm the wiring leading up to the ignition cylinder wasn't damaged when pulling out the column? I would also double check the BCM harnesses just in case, it could have pulled on one while removing the column. Plug G holds the starter wire. I would check there as well.
Volkswagens are one of the hardest to work on in my opinion because of the way everything ties together. Some circuits depend on others that may not have anything to do with each other.
Have there been any other mods to the car that might interfere? Anything not stock?
Maybe try replacing that clicking relay with another good working one?
Check the fuses just in case?
If none of this works, try metering the starter wire in harness G at the BCM to make sure it's getting 12V. If it's not a steady 12V, something is wrong with the car, and I would recommend getting the car serviced before proceeding. It may not be something you did.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic