icon

remote vehicle shutdown?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
No to all your questions ref Blackjax try and learn before posting irrelevant comments in future please.
The Blackjax waits until the vehicle has stopped so no more daft level crossing comments please.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
That's almost as bad as people citing OEM stuff as justification for their mods - eg, non-AGM batteries in cabins.
But I don't give a poo if Blackjax is sued.
Yes, each to their own.
Next - another DIY remote start without interlocks (because they ...)?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
Peter, like the seasons, back come the ooh look I've invented a remote starter with 5 relays, it's come to the point where people like KP, Kreg, Idiot and myself just don't bother to reply anymore.
I should have pulled out of this thread after the OP was warned as to legal implications and carried on posting daft comments.
If I reply to any more I can see the mods canning me yet again.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Actually I was expecting a reply from the OP where I'd expect to vent your shoes. Maybe I figure since recently leaving that other forum (inter alia due to a projecting litol) I may as well make a clean sweep and leave the public arena. Tempting...
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
The best proof of my original post is all over the news at the moment. Look at GM's recall over the ignition switch problem. It is basically exactly what we have been discussing. I hope we can end this topic now.
sparky
catback 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
sparkie wrote:
The best proof of my original post is all over the news at the moment. Look at GM's recall over the ignition switch problem. It is basically exactly what we have been discussing. I hope we can end this topic now.
The thing about that is it's worse as a PR issue than it is as a legal issue. If GM went to court the victims would require alot of proof along the effect that the victim was not at fault in the accident.
Anyway, that's besides my point. When a thief steals a car the owner is no longer liable for what occurs after the theft. Exception to this would be premeditated criminal acts enacted by the owner/victim - this would be things like remote detonating the car, releasing poison gas in the car, and other actions whose planned intention was to cause harm to thief or other. At present it's not criminal or very lethal for cars to stall out/die while on the road nor should any driver, especially a thief, expect that at any given time a car won't die.
That said, I myself am against anti-jacking devices. It's just another thing to fail and things like the blackjax are just a pain the ass to deal with daily in the hopes that one day all your suffering will pay off. Also not enough studies have been done on what thieves usually do when the vehicle they stole stops or makes noise a mere moment or so after being stolen. Do they run on foot, do they car jack the closest victim, do they come back and have the owner fix the car, do they come back and kill the owner for the trouble? Enough just isn't known about what happens in these situations.
bbourque940 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
The Blackjax waits until the vehicle has stopped so no more daft level crossing comments please.[/QUOTE]
That's even worse what if the blackjax disables the vehicle while stopped on a railway or Even worse an airport runway. ..
And if my fuel pump Ever gives out, or I run out of gas hopefully I don't have to stop at any point or steer. Because without a fuel pump all that is impossible! And forget the emergency brake, No fuel pump!
bbourque940 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
I understood that you were against my remote shutdown idea a few posts back that's fine! To each his own, I was just asking questions. You can choose not to respond. Or at least not take shots at me. If I said I understood when in fact I didn't I wouldn't learn much.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
OK a response.
Your idea won't work for one simple reason, you'll have to immobilise before the vehicle gets out of range of your remote. Do you really think in the real world when you've just been stopped at gun point you will react quickly enough?
Second the point about your comments made in ignorance, Blackjax waits until the vehicle has already stopped. The whole point is to get hijacker and vehicle away from you.
Third any form of ignition cut or fuel cut is inherently dangerous, the authorities in the US and here in the UK advise against it but of course you're an enthusiastic amateur and you know better than the experts such as the police, alarm companies and insurers don't you.
Like many others you think you've an original idea that no one else has thought of.
In truth it's been thought of many times before and failed.
bbourque940 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2014 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
You do make some good points. But i would be installing this on my van full of expensive Hvac tools. And I would hope that I wouldn't be using such a feature on a daily basis. In which case, Yes bad things could and probably would happen. But I am installing this in hopes of never having to use it.
But in the event that I do need it. I will have to assess the situation. And in an area that I know the streets well enough I can make a decision on whether or not to utilize the feature. I also carry a CWP so if the thief only makes it two or three blocks, At least I'm not at gunpoint or knifepoint, giving me time to prepare & if the thief disarmed me before taking my vehicle, Again that would require I reassess the situation. I'm not recommending that this feature be mass produced that would be a disaster! But I feel confidently that if I ever do need to use this feature given I'm in range of the remote. I would make my best decision based on the situation & environmental surroundings.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic