icon

viper 5704v intermittent operation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
moto_user 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2014 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I have a Viper 5704v installed on my Nissan Titan about a year ago and have been having issues with it's operation. One day the alarm activated on my truck and when I went to unlock the door it would not unlock with the Viper remote. I had to use the Nissan key fob to unlock the truck. After that the system was operating properly and I was able to lock / unlock the door with the Viper remote.
Several months later I changed my truck battery and again began having issues with the Viper remote not unlocking or locking the doors. The alarm would arm and disarm, but the doors would not unlock and the parking lights would not flash. I took it to a dealer (not the one who installed it) and they used to the bit writer to program the alarm and it began working fine again until the alarm went off one day and now I'm having the same issue again. I tried re-progamming the options manually using the remote in programming mode but its not correcting. Do I buy a bit writer myself to try to correct it or should I go to a different dealer and pay to have it looked at? The original dealer who installed the alarm is trying to charge me to remove the alarm to have it sent back to viper but they're not getting anymore of my money.
Thanks
freqsounds 
Copper - Posts: 289
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2014 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
I would not recommend buying a Bitwriter unless you are an installer. You'll use it once and never need it again. Also, a Bitwriter most likely isn't going to fix the problem. It sounds more like the Immobilizer. Is it using a DEI immobilizer? They're nothing but problems. You'd keep taking your truck somewhere to get it fixed if you don't replace the immobilizer with iDataLink.
What year is your truck?
No question is stupid or not worth asking. You were once a noob, right? :)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Or a faulty sensor, door, hood, etc. The LCD remote should tell you what's triggering the alarm.
Or read the owners' manual, the diagnostic section.
moto_user 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for such a late reply and thank you guys for taking the time to try to help. By the immobilizer are you referring to the DBALL for the remote start? And also my truck is an 06.
I unplugged the brain and plugged it back in and the alarm started working for a couple of months before going out again and for the past 2 weeks it won't lock or unlock the doors. The alarm still arms and disarms but the parking lights on the truck don't flash like they are supposed to.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
The DB-ALL needs to be re-initialised, go to Xpresskit.com, look up your vehicle, year and model, download the install guide, last few pages.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Forget my last comment, lock/unlock is controlled via the 5704, NOT the DB-ALL, it might be the wiring connection to your vehicle that's faulty.
moto_user 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. I just got a wiring cheat sheet and I'm gonna trace all the wiring and see if it's correct. The other thing I was thinking was to buy a refurbed unit for $50 on ebay and just throw that in to see if it works.
freqsounds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, so 2 things...
Howie, you were correct the first time. The DBALL takes care of the locks with data, if it was wired D2D. It also takes care of the parking lights. This leads me to believe a problem exists with the bus connection.
D2D is data-to-data. This means your remote start sends data to the DBALL instead of using individual signal wires for every function. 4 wires 'replaces' about 12, and is hooked up through a harness instead of splitting/soldering.
The problem is, the DBALL's aren't always reliable with this setup. Some techs wire up those 12 wires just to be sure they'll always work. In my experience, they work great as long as you disable all unneeded features in the DBALL. For example, your truck doesn't have sliding doors, so turn it off. This is done when programming the DBALL with the xkloader, and should have been done by the installer.
Back to troubleshooting. The data (HS-CAN) wires I was speaking of are located at the OBD-II port. These are the tan and tan/black wires from the DBALL. Trace these out and make sure they have a solid connection. These typically handle starting the car too, but in my experience, the CAN low wire controls body functions (i.e. Locks) while the high controls engine related things,or vice versa depending on the car. All it takes is one of these wires to come loose to create havoc.
If all else fails, you can do a soft reset the DBALL. This does not remove the firmware flash, but does reset custom settings to default. The DBALL will have to re-learn the key, which isn't too difficult. Disconnecting the battery does not do this for you. Just follow the instructions in the installation manual. Do NOT perform a hard reset. This will require a firmware reload.
moto_user 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
freqsounds,
Thanks for the info. I downloaded the instructions and did a soft reset and then manually programmed the module. The door locks started working initially but then stopped again. I went back and reset it and then re-programmed it again but I couldn't get the locks to work again. The other thing I noticed is that the module would only allow me to go up to menu option 3. So after trying to program it several other times it's still not working. When I hit the unlock button on my remote, the DBALL flashes green and clicks twice but does nothing else. Think I should get a new module and replace it? Thanks
freqsounds 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2015 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
It's not defective. It lost its firmware. Going to need to get the DBALL reflashed. That's how they act before programming. The clicking you hear is the relays. They won't click if the firmware is taking care of the lights and doors. And because you're only going up to option 3,that tells me the firmware isn't installed.
You're going to have to find someone with an xkloader2 or get one on Amazon for about $40.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic