choosing an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5thave 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
So I recently purchased two RE Audio SEX12v2D4 subs to replace my beloved HiFonics subs. The RE's are rated at 750 watts RMS each, dual voice coil, and 4 ohms. The box says 2000 watts max, but I know better than to go by that rating.
I have two options so far of what amp to pair these to:
Precision Power PPI BA5000.1D
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77172_Precision-Power-PPI-BA5000.1D.html
HiFonics HFi1500D
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22707_Hifonics-HFi1500D.html
With these two amps I can either run 1200 watts at 4 ohms or 1500 watts at 1 ohm. 1200 watts is of course less power but at 4 ohms it won't stress the amp as much, whereas 1500 watts is more power but at 1 ohm will stress the amp a bit more. After owning HiFonics subs and beating the heck out of them I do fully trust their products, but I'm tempted to try PP.
Any opinions on the amps I sorta chose out? I'm also open to any opinions on other amps as well, as I haven't made my decision yet. My budget is $250 tops.
Any opinions or suggestions would be more than appreciated! Thank You!
cvsct698 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
We started selling the PPI amps a couple months ago. They are legit. We've sold about 20 of the BA5000.1D's in the past 2 months, no returns. For the price, they are incredibly powerful. I myself have two of them strapped, and another of our installers has two of the 7000's strapped for competition and they are definitely giving our systems a workout. Now that they are out from under DEI, PPI seems to be making a legitimate attempt to become a good brand again.
5thave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Wouldn't it be a poor idea to underpower the subs by 150 watts each if I went with the Precision Power Amp? Whould it he better to over power them by 150 watts each or underpower them by 150 watts each.
cvsct698 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Allowing yourself headroom by overpowering would most likely be better. Regardless, properly adjusting your amplifier is of great importance, because even under-powered, distortion kills speakers.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
whether your are over or under by 150 watts it wont make a difference to your ears. if the prices are similar for both amps then id probably go with the PPI only because it will allow you to upgrade your subs if you want to something more powerful. i wouldnt worry about stressing the amp at 1 ohm if the amp is rated to be stable at 1 0hm.
5thave 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
whether your are over or under by 150 watts it wont make a difference to your ears. if the prices are similar for both amps then id probably go with the PPI only because it will allow you to upgrade your subs if you want to something more powerful. i wouldnt worry about stressing the amp at 1 ohm if the amp is rated to be stable at 1 0hm.
The HiFonics is cheaper and produces more wattage. The PPI sounded very tempting but the HiFonics seems like the better hang for my buck. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon either. Not for this vehicle anyway.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2014 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  
cvsct698 wrote:
Allowing yourself headroom by overpowering would most likely be better. Regardless, properly adjusting your amplifier is of great importance, because even under-powered, distortion kills speakers.
Nope. ABSOLUTELY not. Overpowering kills speakers. That's all.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=74226&tpn=1
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic