icon

viper installer giving questionable info

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
esqsm 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
I went to a remote start installer and chose a Viper 4806 unit to be installed into my vehicle. When I went to pick it up, the guy gave me the 2-way remote, but then I noticed that the instruction manual for the 4606 was sitting in my car. I asked him what unit was installed and the guy told me that he installed the 4606 unit. He assured me that the module was identical to the 4806, but that the 4606 only comes with the 1 way remote. He told me I had an effective duplicate of the 4806 by installing the 4606 and programming a 2 way remote.
I went home and did some research and found that the 4606 has a 2000 foot range. I was expecting a 1 mile range. When I called the installer, he told me that the brain of the 4606 and 4806 are identical (4x06), and that the remote is what dictates the range. Meaning, the fact that I have a 2 way remote will make this unit operational up to the 1 mile.
I am unhappy with this, but due to certain circumstances, I would accept it if what he is telling me is true. That combining the 4606 unit with a 2 way remote gives my system the mile range. Does anyone here know whether this is true or false? Any input would be appreciated.
esqsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
the title should read "questionable info" not "able info."
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Call the manufacture and ask them. See what they say.
If nothing else, the installer should have been upfront and honest with you about the swap BEFORE the install. That's just bad customer service.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
The installer is correct but I tend to agree with Shafferny's comment.
He lives in the middle of nowhere, I have to work there sometimes.
esqsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
shafferny wrote:
Call the manufacture and ask them. See what they say.
If nothing else, the installer should have been upfront and honest with you about the swap BEFORE the install. That's just bad customer service.
Yeah, I am not happy at all about the way they operated here. It took me asking several times to get a straight answer too. I'm wondering whether this is something Viper would admit, given that it would seemingly undercut the higher margins on the 4806. Thanks for the response.
esqsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
The installer is correct but I tend to agree with Shafferny's comment.
He lives in the middle of nowhere, I have to work there sometimes.
Thanks for the response howie. So you believe that the 4606 + the 2 way remote should give the stated 1 mile range as though it was the 4806? How confident are you in that? I don't doubt you know what you're talking about but I may just let bygones be bygones if that is accurate, even though I am very displeased at them not being upfront with me about it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Provided they've changed remote AND antenna it should have a nominal* 1 mile range.
* Don't for 1 moment think you're going to get 1 mile, in the real world aim for half of that, in fact the only place you might get a mile is a 1 mile airfield runway.
esqsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
I am guessing there wasn't a change in antenna because he didn't mention that to me. He just said that "the brain of the two are identical" and that with the 2 way remote you will get the 1 mile range. I would think that if he did anything else that he would have mentioned it to sooth my concerns.
Is there a simple way for me to determine this on my own?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Only by going on their site and contacting them, don't mention the dealer at this stage unless you have to but mention your concerns. Unfortunately we only get the 5204 in the UK but we've personally changed antennae and remotes to turn them into 57/5904.
All the 5X04/6 share the same brain I'm assuming so does the 4X06 which would suggest an antenna (control centre) change.
esqsm 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
All the 5X04/6 share the same brain I'm assuming so does the 4X06 which would suggest an antenna (control centre) change.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I follow.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic