icon

r/s dash location for 2012 ford f-150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed approximately a dozen remote starts before and all of them I have placed under the dash on the driver side. This is because the ignition, BCM and other wires I need are usually located here. However I'm about to install a remote start on a 2012 Ford F-150 and the BCM is located in the passenger side kick panel. According to wiring diagrams, the +12v feeds are also located at the BCM and there are none at the ignition. So what would you do? Extend the various ignition wiring over to the driver side but keep the unit on the passenger side or vice versa and extend the power wires and other wires needed to the BCM?
OR, if there is a +12v source I can tap into on the driver's side, I would love to know it as that is what I'm most concerned with. Thanks!
yellow_cake 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
There should be a +12v source in the ignition harness. Just test the unlisted wires to see which one it is.
The wiring charts don't list this wire because it's a low current source...
You can use it without a problem if you're not powering anything that the ignition circuit normally doesn't (ie, parking lights +, or other high current aux).
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
There is a second 12 v constant listed as 15a in the ignition harness but unless you are using specifically a. Low current Rs and bypass module don't use it as your main source of power. It may work at first but will cause issues long term. Either go to the bum for power and extend a few wires needed to the drivers side or stay drivers side and extend a fused power to the bcm or battery. Honestly I do most everything on these at the bcm but everybody finds different things easier. But I can't stress enough don't use the second 12v at the ignition for main power unless your specifically using a low current RS system.
Gary Sather
tonanzith 
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry. Meant BCM not bum. Lol. Damn autocorrect.
Gary Sather
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for both of your inputs. I will be using an Avital 4103 unit. I'm assuming it's not a low current system?
tonanzith 
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
No it's not.
Gary Sather
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
On thou se trucks I always use the 12 volt in the ignition harness the systems draw very low amounts of power and have never had an issue or comeback
tonanzith 
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
In over 15 years in the industry my service rate is less than 1%.   It takes two minutes to do a proper and run the wire directly to the battery or at the BCM.   Every installer is different to each their own.   I can say from experience depending on the unit that you're using it is always best to not use the second ignition rated under 30 A. But that's just my experience and my educated opinion.
Gary Sather
pentavolvo 
Copper - Posts: 241
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
I have put an amp meter on and draw is minimal
tonanzith 
Posted: December 04, 2014 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Put an amp meter on. Remote start. Check while cranking. Turn the radio on. Plus auto head lights. Heater etc. and see how close to 15a you get.
Gary Sather
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic