icon

'14 audi a6 tdi remote start needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2014 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
The installation guide is on the Xpresskit site, probably also on Fortin and idatalink when you specify your vehicle make and model.
If you're as good as you claim to be that's all you'll need.
snocat 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2014 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
The installation guide is on the Xpresskit site, probably also on Fortin and idatalink when you specify your vehicle make and model.
If you're as good as you claim to be that's all you'll need.
Looks like wiring diagrams to me, not instructions. I can read the diagram but it means nothing if not coupled with vehicle install info. Why, how good did I claim to be?? Just need install help with this particular vehicle. I can cut, strip, solder (took a class in soldering missle wire harnesses), shrink wrap, route, and whatever else with the best of them. Was an Aircraft mechanic, Auto/Truck, Snowmobile mechanic with a total of 44yrs experience. I just can't do my first remote start install on a 60k vehicle with just a wiring diagram. If there is no info out there so be it, I'll pay the $569. they want to install it...
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
OK If you need install instructions please don't do this yourself otherwise T20 and possibly T25 Torx, 8 and 10 mm sockets wire strip and solder tools as basics.
No one is going to lead you by the hand and say "undo this, go there".
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Wiring guides are detailed enough, where it's an installation guide in itself. Of course you have to use some hand tools to pull it all apart, however as mentioned the diagram/install guide is pretty much all you need.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
snocat 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Tools are not the problem. I know that Crutchfield offers vehicle specific directions if you purchase from them, any way to access them? Their prices are terrible, $70. less than having it installed. I can get the Viper 5706V & the module for around $250. or less, my installer (the only one close to me)wants $569. I know that it's a late model car but the instructions must be floating around somewhere.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
the guide you will find on idatalink IS vehicle specific. That is a wiring guide as comes as detailed as you will find anywhere. If that doesn't help, you're honestly better off paying to get it installed.
Do keep in mind, there probably isn't going to be a true pictorial/ exact vehicle guide. The way the team at ADS, Fortin, even Directed prints the guides in which the wiring will incorporate into your install. They expect the end user to have some common sense/basic know how in order to FOLLOW their instructions, and install the unit.
For sure the wiring is very simple on paper (under 10 connections) but the labour rate is ridiculous. Why? You're not paying an installer for his "time." You're essentially paying him/her for their workmanship, knowledge, know how in order to get such a sophisticated system installed PROPERLY. Medical example: You don't find the best bang for the buck doctor, you find one that knows what they are doing because they are qualified to do such. Now with that being said, I'm not here to give you a forum bashing or flaming. We're all here to help, but the questions you ask; forces us installers to believe you don't have the BASIC knowledge to start this project. Having tool and mechanical know how is great, but electrical is quite a large/vast ranging as well.
Anywhos, buy what you feel comfortable working with, and I'm sure members will chime in on the subject to help you complete the job.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ted, as I mentioned to you I do about one VAG* a week.
To the OP follow the guide and by the way our labour rate on these is about US$240.
You need to drop the panel on theright LEFT under the instruments.
Everything is there,
The hard parts are:-
1) Getting "A" pillar trim back, lots of patience required.
2) Finding your way into the engine bay, I suggest easier on left hand drive than ours, PS mount siren to inner bulkhead in engine bay, remove plastic scuttle around wiper blades. On right hand drive cars there's am grommet behind the servo.
*VAG =Volkswagen, Audi, Seat Skoda, electrically they're all the same.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
I just looked at Xpresskit, dead easy wiring, only about 10 connections MUST solder your joints.
Pay careful attention to the transponder reader you have to remove head unit to get at it. Stop/start button is easy.
Don't kill yourself trying to get at the kickpanel, ANY twisted pair of the same colour CAN wires will do, ignition loom, to CPUs under dash, I've never gone to the kick panel.
snocat 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I do have the electrical knowledge, been soldering wires since I was a kid. I ripped out and replaced and fabricated my own wiring harnesses many times, that's not the help I need. The old saying "If all else fails, read the directions". Those are the directions that I need, yes they are "remove this", "tape this to that", "find a good place for this", open this and look for", don't do this, or that". Maybe they just don't exist and on a first time install it may be better for a pro to handle it. I'll have the product/s warranty and the installers guarantee too if anything goes wrong. I thought there might be a video tutorial or written "step-by-step" instructions. Thanks for all the input anyway. Found a great one for an '05 Tacoma while I was searching if anybody needs it:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/252032-how-install-viper-5704-alarm-remote-start.html
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Stop right there. When I teach I explain what I want and let them get started watching what they do.
I expect questions but they have to do it themselves.
Please read the last phrase, first sentence of my signature line.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic