icon

Where do I run the wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
showdwar 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
I know to run audo wires and power wires on opposite sides of the vehicle.  but my question is does it matter if I run the speaker wires along the top trim toe the back or do they "have" to be on the bottom?
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I don't see why you couldn't run them in the top trim...I just think that it would be more of a hassle that's all.
Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
They don't have to be run on the bottom, most find it easier though. Most installers do it there because if amps are being installed then they already have the bottom of the car torn apart to run the RCA and power wires. Why cause yourself more work if you don't have to!
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
showdwar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I was just wondering...I am going to have a lot going from the front to back and I havn't checked yet, but I am not sure if I will have enough room on the bottom trim...just checking my options.
There's nothin' like good music played on a good system!
Toy816 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  

are you hooking up a 4 channel setup? if so why run any extra wires at all. use the existing rear speaker wires that run to the head unit tap them into the front speakers and run your rear speaker wires directly off the amp. wow that was easy!

take your time and do it right the first time
showdwar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmm, you ask why, well let me tell my "plan"  lol...  I have right now my turnon lead hooked up to a switch in front. (ie; turn amps on and off)  Well I am giong to run that to some relays.  The relays are going to control having the amp runing the output wattage to the speakers when on....and when off the deck will be powering the interior speakers.

So I will have to run all the origional wiring all the way back to the relays along with the wires outputing to the speakers.

Sounds like a pain, but once it is done, it will be pretty sweet!

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
Toy816, it's always a good idea to replace the factory wires if you can. It may take a little more time, but replacing the factory wires with 16-18 gauge will benefit you in the end. Most factory wires are poorly shielded, and I believe are usually 20 gauge. If you're going for better SQ, then replacing the factory wires is always a good place to start.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
showdwar 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

squirrel,

good point....I wasn't going to totally replace them.  I was just going to tap them off of the door and the rear deck connections....

but running them directly from the deck would be a better choice, huh?  I just may do that instead. 

Thanks for mentioning that!

wvsquirrel 
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
If you plan on replacing the OEM speakers it would deffinately be a benefit to replace the entire length of the wire. That also creates less "places to go wrong". By that I mean it's one (or four, 1 for each speaker line)) crimps that you don't have to deal with and worry about the wires comming loose sometime down the road Where do I run the wires? -- posted image.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Toy816 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

shielding on speaker wires? am i missing something here. i've never seen a shielded speaker wire before and i've never seen a factory wire less than 18 gauge and most are 14- 16 gauge. are you saying there is less resistence from wires with a brand name stamped on it? if spending more money and time makes you feel more comfortable more power to you. but the sound difference would be unoticeable to the average person.

take your time and do it right the first time
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic