icon

fortin one remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cbzdel 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2015 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
I own a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT with the smart key and push button starter. The only option for a remote starter was signing up for a smart phone app though Hyundai that costs something like $100 a year which is not something I want to pay an annual service for. So I went onto Google and searched for other options and came across the Fortin ONE. I am sure its been mentioned on here before as it looks like a pretty good product.
http://fortin.ca/en/vehicles/hyundai/elantra_gt/2013-push-to-start/
My question is though, its is really as easy as this makes it out to be? According to the FORTIN ONE directions posted on that website, all that is needed is I buy the unit, tap into 10 of the factory wires which have pictures of exactly where to find them and what color they are, and attach a ground point. Thats it? Seems like what maybe an hour or less in work and I have the remote starter than I want?
Or is there more to it that I am not understanding?
I am pretty good with 12v wiring, I have installed stereos, amps, speakers, extra lighting, and so on.. So if all I really have to do is buy the unit and tap a couple wires it almost seems fool proof!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2015 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
that's an all in one unit, so yes it is as easy as it looks.
you need the programmer though to make some changes. This works with the oem remote, and you can always add on the RF kit of your choice.
you can always do the idatalink + remote start of your choice as well
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2015 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
Everything you said is true, and I agree with Tedmond as well.
I've done many of the Elantra PTS, and I do find them to be one of the easier push-to-start cars. It's about the same amount of work as doing a regular-key car.
So, I don't want to discourage you, but I will agree and disagree with what you said at the same time.
Yes, I can do those cars in about an hour. My tool box is especially set up just for remote starters, so I have everything on hand. I know exactly how the car comes apart and goes together. I have some (but not all!) of the wiring locations and colors memorized.
Even if you've done stereos and lighting before, it'll still take you a little extra time to work out how the dash comes down, your back might not be as accustomed to kneeling and twisting as a daily installer's is, and you'll have to run back in the house a few times to get a tool you forgot you needed.
So that's the only warning I'd really want to say----budget a few hours just in case, and it's not a bad idea to have a second car on hand if you have to run out for last-minute supplies or tools. And where a regular installer can program the module to the car in moments, it'll take you a few minutes to carefully read through the instructions and watch what the lights are doing to make sure it's right.
Tips:
---The driver's underdash has two screws you can see, and two more you can't...they're on the side. Hmm, how to explain this in text? Sit in the driver's seat. Look at the left AC vent. Now, open the driver's door. Between the left AC vent and the door panel, is a sort of "sail panel" that sits on the side of the dash, and you can't see it unless the door is open. Make sense? OK, so you have to pry that off to expose the other two screws for the driver's underdash.
---To get to the kick panel to connect the ignition wires, uncrew and remove the hood-release handle. Pop up the front half of the door-sill plate. Peel back the door weatherstripping. Now, you'll see the top edge of the kick panel is held in by a little clip...reach in there with a hook tool and pry that out. Then bend the kick panel out a little more so you can look behind, and you'll see another plastic clip....get in there with a long screwdriver and pop that out.
The door sill and kick panel on these cars are both very fragile and crack easily. Run the car outside with the heat on maximum for a while, to soften the panels a bit.
---Above where the driver's left foot would be, are several factory harnesses with plenty of space in between them. I mount the remote starter brain here, with the wires coming from the brain pointing toward the back of the car. Take note that the steering linkage in this car is exposed, and don't let the brain or wires get close to it.
cbzdel 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2015 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the tips guys!
I found a seller on ebay that offers to flash the device correctly for your specific vehicle before sending it out, if this was to happen, would I have any reason to buy the $50 Fortin Link kit?
I am very comfortable working on this Hyundai, when I installed my new stereo I took most of the dash apart, I have a sickness that requires any automotive work I do, to look factory, so I do a VERY good job at hiding all the wires and such, I spent more time upside down curled into a ball in the drivers footwell that I ever imagined! And what I like about the Fortin is that it shows picture of exactly where each wire you need to tap is located. All of the wire locations that require tapping, I have already accessed those areas in the past and will not have trouble getting back into those areas.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2015 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Fortin's guides are written very well from my experience. Although I use idatalink more often (due to using compustar), Fortin has been great till this day.
An ebay seller can flash it for you with the essentials you require for a basic install, however in the event you want to use aftermarket RF remotes, add rear defrost, additional auxiliary outputs, etc you'd need to make changes on the unit with a flash-link.
In short, NOT needed unless you want start only. YES if you plan to customize your instal with the bells and whistles, install one time and you can always sell the flash link back on local classified ads.
Keep in mind, if you car has a factory alarm, you need to tell your vendor to turn on option D2. Personally, If it was my own vehicle, I would be advised to buy one just incase you need to modify your unit.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
cbzdel 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2015 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
What I think I will do then is buy the cheapest Fortin ONE I can online, and then also get the Fortin Link. That will allow me to flash it myself once it arrives. And that will also allow me to see all the options which are available.
I did have a fear of requesting it to be flashed it and it being done wrong, so if I just buy the LINK tool then I will not have to worry about that happening.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic