icon

2014 Honda CR-V, Avital 4103lx

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jhansen6 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2015 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
It's cool that your first install was on your mom's vehicle because the Honda that I'm installing this on is my mom's car also. I'm excited to get experience on working with remote starters because I paid a shop to install a remote start on my car recently and ended up spending a fortune. :/ And I'm rather an avid DIY'r so it's painful to pay a lot of money for something I could have potentially done myself. But now that I've joined this community, hopefully that won't happen again :)
-jhansen6
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2015 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

I like the idea of "keeping it simple".  Using products from one manufacturer / supplier is a good idea.  For the professional, having

the necessary USB bypass module flash cable ( XKLoader2 for DEI, ADS USB for iDatalink and FlashLink for Fortin ) isn't an issue,
just a one-time purchase of an important tool.  For the DIYer, the extra $40 to $90 per cable could be prohibitive.  Now-a-days, almost
every bypass module has to be flashed prior to use.   We all have our favorites, usually a product you are familiar with that has
performed well.   iDatalink is my go-to bypass module, with Fortin a very close second. 

Just one more thought.  As mentioned by Ted, some of the entry level R/S systems have some difficulties with D2D.  They are getting

better but...    Aside from Tach and Brake issues, the 4103 can have ESP BitWriter / DBI D2D port function problems.  Some units
are shipped with the port set to ESP BitWriter and need to be manually switched over to DBI D2D mode for proper operation of the
D2D data connection to the bypass module.  Due to those issues, if I am using a full featured bypass module ( one that performs
more functions that just transponder bypass ) and an Avital 41x3 unit, I go W2W between the modules.  While it is time consuming,
done on the bench during the prep phase, it can be done neatly, is very logical and always works 100%.  No post-install / testing
issues and no come-backs.  If you have the time, going D2D could work OK and you can always revert back to W2W if necessary.

Here are the steps to switch Data port modes on the Avital 4103 :

Avital /  Python BitWriter/ESP to DBI mode port change over.

To use as D2D mode follow the below steps:

1. Remove all power from the Avital R/S brain.
2. Make sure Avital's WHITE/ Blue activation wire is grounded.
3. Power the unit up. If the system LED flashes for 5 seconds, you are now in DBI D2D mode.  If the system LED comes on solid
    for 5 seconds, you are now in ESP/BitWriter Mode - start over at Step 1 to get the 5 second blink for DBI D2D mode. 
4. Remove the WHITE/ Blue wire from ground.  ( Do this cleanly, without pulsing the WHITE/ Blue wire.)

Soldering is fun!
jhansen6 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2015 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and also, to make the wiring connections, should I go with just a good ol' soldering iron and solder?
-jhansen6
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2015 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
If you never soldered before, you can do more harm than good. Keep it simple with a strip, poke and twist. Aka the military splice and you should be fine. Most mid market 35watt soldering irons often don't heat up enough to solder a 12gauge wire. This is where butane irons shine.
Don't skimp out on electrical tape either.
3M superscotch 33+, scotch 700 or 88+ works great. About 6 dollars a roll-holds up in the cold
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2015 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

On any butt type wire connections, heat shrink tube ( available at WalMart and RadioShack, among other places ) works great. 

Remote start unit and ADS DL bypass module bench-prepped in W2W mode :

2014 Honda CR-V, Avital 4103lx - Page 2 -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
jhansen6 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2015 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the late reply, been busy with school and family. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread! You're a great help! I am now a lot more confident to start this whole install 2014 Honda CR-V, Avital 4103lx - Page 2 -- posted image.
-jhansen6
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic