icon

2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
esu78 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Thank You for a great resource, this board is great !

So I pose this question about my 2003 Tahoe, not an Install Topic but an electrical question- Thanks for reading.

'03 Tahoe Nothin added to it- Yet

No OnStar.

On the drivers side the instrumentation for the 4WD, The Headlights and the Fog Lights: No LED Illumination.

Meaning: When I select 2WD the tiny LED does not light, Same for AWD/4WD modes. When I turn on FOG lamps the LED does not light- All the functions work, (4wd engages/fog lamps turn on). All the 'night time' dash lights work (Night Illumination). Just the LED indicators do not work. Also the Auto Headlights LED's dont light either. Just isolated to the 'driver' side cluster where these switches are.

Has been to the dealer several times and been on the phone w/ GM.  It seems like something really simple but the techs are having a hard time troubleshooting. 2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ? -- posted image.

The swtiches were replaced but still no luck. Again the switches are functioning but no illumination to the LED indicators. Anyone have wiring diagram? I have to best of my ability checked fuses/plugs etc. All negative results. These have not worked since I got the truck.

Any ideas? Besides the Lemon Law 2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ? -- posted image.

Thanks !

John J.
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Did you check the fuses with a DMM or did you just visually inspect them? I had a'99 Blazer that had the 4x4 illumination LEDs go out and the fuse looked good, but when I checked for continuity with my DMM, they were most certainly blown.
Did something happen that would cause the wires to become cut or force something loose? The other day in my buddy's Jeep we were off-roading and it knocked something loose and it sliced clean through a wiring bundle.
As far as the Lemon Law goes, if it was bought with a GM warranty, they should be fixing it without asking. Hereis a nice resource for state-by-state Lemon Law details because I don't know which state you live in. Good luck!
Cary
hotrodelectric 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Stuff like this is usually 'simple and stupid'. GM in the last few years have gone to a plug-in style of gang ground- that is, it looks like a regular plug with all of the dash (or whatever circuit) grounds going to it. The other half is a bussbar ground that gets bolted to the sheetmetal. Try looking for this plug and make sure all of the ground wires are fully seated. There's supposed to be a secondary lock making sure this doesn't happen, but I have seen where they were missing. The only other thing I can think is the body computer is SNAFU- I doubt that, though.
808vip 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I'm having a similar problem with my fog lights..the GM techs traced it back to a bad BCM..won't know till next week when they get the new parts in..but now I'm wondering if it has to do with what hotrodelectric posted...so if hotrod is monitoring this post..where is this bussbar and how can I check it.
hotrodelectric 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
OK- I just went through my GM SI2000 manual program. It only goes to 2002, I have to imagine the 2003's are simular. Esu, on your Tahoe the plug I am talking about is going to be nearly impossible for you to get to without a lot of teardown- it's located at the top of the dash on the left A-pillar. For reference, it is ground number G-203. It is hooked to the switches you're talking about, but I didn't look to see if that's a reference ground for the BCM or a ground for your indicators. Now that I've seen that, you will be further ahead letting the dealer take care of this, since you are still under warranty. You can take this info and mention it, though, especially since the techs there seem to be having a hard time diagnosing the problem.
808, my suggestion is since the dealer already diagnosed the BCM as your problem and the parts are supposedly on the way, I would let them do the replacement. I have seen BCM's do wierd things like that- it's rare, but it does happen. To locate the splice pack (that's the official name) I need to know what year, make, model, and if it's 2 or 4 wheel drive. Is your car/truck still under warranty?
esu78 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

Outstanding ! Thank you all so much

I do have an appointment at dealer tommorow- Tues. I will advise on their findings.

I only did a visual of the fuses on what I belived to be the ones to control that console. The Owners Guide not to helpful/to 'plain' in pinpointing what fuses control that section.

Hotrod- Yes im hoping to let the dealer troubleshoot repair this problem (teardown) and I will give them the information about the ground.- Yes still under  warranty. I know they mentioned something about grounds etc but I do not know if they pinpointed to the one you indicated. Thier 'A' tech is supposed to be in when I go there tommorow so I am hoping that will be it ! Your most certainly on point it seems like something so simple !

808vip- the problem w/ the FOG lamps.. was it just the LED Indicator not illuminating when you turned on your fog lamps? Did/Does your FOG lamps turn on? Please let me know perhaps this too is a similar problem- is your truck an 2003? What other problems did you encounter if any?

Thanks again !

Will be updating you all soon

John

John J.
808vip 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
I own a 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L 2WD and the fogs don't turn on..I pm'd hotrod (i didn't want you think'n i was invading your post)and he said that mine's a different problem because it's a different ground.
Much ALOHA to Hotrod and John.
esu78 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

808vip  -No problemo ! Hey we're trying to figure this all out and any input helps !

Well the verdict today was the BCM. The techs apparently have traced it to that and will be installing new one hopefully this Thurs/Fri. I will advise on findings... !

Im also a  lil' peeved now since they broke my switch that turns off dome lights when exiting- 2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ? -- posted image.

Will keep ya updated !

John

John J.
hotrodelectric 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2003 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah- the BCM's are wierd that way. I didn't think it would be the BCM on Esu78's Tahoe- being just the indicators I would have thought they would received the 'on' signal from the switch or the 'power out' from
the accessory line, not an independent signal from the BCM. The problem on 808Vip's Tahoe WAS closer to the BCM- no output to the foglamps. I'm sorry I couldn't help any better guys- I guess I'll file that away under future reference2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ? -- posted image.. I'm normally reluctant to point the finger at the computer because it could be so many other things, and the computers/modules made today are normally more reliable than most people think- apparently, however, not in this case. Ach- anyway, it's good you found out what it is (having a GM Tech2 scanner helps immensely2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ? -- posted image.) and it will soon be fixed. 808Vip, don't ever worry about stepping in- helping each other out and asking questions is what this forum is all about.
esu78 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ? -- posted image.

Well it is Fixed ! Thank you ! Thank You.

So heres the deal: they replaced the BCM. But it still didnt work- you were right hotrodelectric... and you know I figured as much since there were no other 'problems' w/ the truck

They did check the ground point at  G-203 (xtra points hotrod!) and those were a-ok.

So ? turns out there was a short in the 'wire harness' from the BCM to the switch assembly.

Dealer replaced wire from BCM to switch assembly 2003 Tahoe- Off Topic ? -- posted image.  hence thier thoughts on the BCM being bad ?

They spent much time on the phone w/ GM Tech help and were even going to have the service rep come to dealer but i think they were able to work on it over the phone to resolve the issue.  Wheeeeeeeeew !!

thank you

John

John J.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic