the12volt.com spacer
icon

Will these subs replace a JLW6?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phase1 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phase1
3 sundown 8 inch SD-2 subs in a ported box. Would these output more than a single 12" JLW6 ported?
The real problem here is that I only have 300 watts. Currently the W6 sounds great, but I need more versatility and wondered if 3 of these 8 inchers could outperform it given the same wattage?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
I do not know. But I do know if you put some more power on the w6, that will give you much more sound.
phase1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2015 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phase1
i am an idiot wrote:
I do not know. But I do know if you put some more power on the w6, that will give you much more sound.
I know but I don't want to add another amp. I used to have 600 watts on it and really I don't notice much difference...theoretically it's only a 3db difference anyway at max volume.
I mostly want to know if three 8 inch subs have more surface area than a 12?
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 23, 2015 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Doing the math at 12 inches = 113 sq inches
at 8 inches = 50 sq inches per sub
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2015 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote icearrow6
Hello, phase1.
When you say you want more "versatility", what exactly do you mean?
If its sound range that you looking for, that JL w6 has an excellent range response in a sealed box.
Ported boxes are design to gain output (about 6db) at the port's tuning frequency, at the expense of range.
Now as far as the uniqueness of the 8" setup, it will definitely let you stand out from the typical install.
phase1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2015 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phase1
Trying to spread it out to use my cargo space a little more effectively than what the current is going to do for me. Otherwise I would do a couple of lower powered 10's but since I have 3 sundown's I might as well make use of them
i am an idiot wrote:
Doing the math at 12 inches = 113 sq inches
at 8 inches = 50 sq inches per sub
Thanks. But I read somewhere that Sundown's SD subs had a smaller cone more equivelant to a 6.5 inch...not sure how true that is but the surround is huge.
So at best it shouldn't be any worse than what I currently have right?
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
What is the impedance of the w6? Single voice coil or dual voice coil? What is the impedance of the sundown drivers? Single or dual? What amplifier? 1 channel or 2 channel? What is the minimum impedance of the amplifier? What is the Sensitivity numbers on the w6 and the sundown? It will be the one that says XX dB/1w/1meter
phase1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2015 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phase1
i am an idiot wrote:
What is the impedance of the w6? Single voice coil or dual voice coil? What is the impedance of the sundown drivers? Single or dual? What amplifier? 1 channel or 2 channel? What is the minimum impedance of the amplifier? What is the Sensitivity numbers on the w6 and the sundown? It will be the one that says XX dB/1w/1meter
Here's what the difference will look like without cabin gain. Green line is the 3 sundown subs which is 2.6 ohms and W6 is 2 ohms. Either or is going to pull around the 300 watts range but I never crank up the volume anyway so difference there might be around 1 decibel, will be negligible.
Will these subs replace a JLW6? -- posted image.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic