icon

Fog light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
matadoramerican 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

i'm installing hella 1182 foglamps on a 95 accord.  They come with a relay and a dash switch, for operation independant of the headlamps.  I want to wire them so they turn on and off with the headlamps (including parking lights only).  i also want them to not turn off when i turn on the brights.

Suggestions?

Paul

k67p67 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Connect the wire that is intended to connect to the low beam to the parking lights instead. You can either install the switch and leave it on all the time (recommended) or not install the switch at all. This will illuminate the fogs whenever the parking lights are on (including with low beams and with high beams). I recommend installing the switch just in case you want only your parking lights on (ex. parking in the street just to run inside and grab something quickly).
matadoramerican 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

That sounds simple enough.  Quick one regarding the switch: having connected the wire that is intended to connect to the low beam to the parking lights instead, will leaving the switch that came with the fogs in the on position allow the fogs to turn off when the lights are turned off at the factory column mounted switch.

Oh and can you tell me where the parking light wire is?

Paul

Pimpin93Cougar 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Find the wires running to the parking light (yellow light beside your headlight). There are 2 wires going to it. Get a cheap $3 power tester from Wal-Mart or an auto store. Hook the alligator clip to bare metal or the negative on the battery. Then push the point into each of the wires. If the light comes on, then that's your positive wire. Then you have the wire that goes to the 86 on the relay come from that.
Fog light -- posted image.
Page to pic above
KaMLuNg 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
why do we need relays when installing fog lights??? just a newbie question.. sincei was always prone to just connect the ground and then just a postitive to whatever i wanted to turn on.. thanks guys...
Pimpin93Cougar 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Because you can burn out out your switch, as is prone on cars like mine. Many people have burnt their Multi Function Switch (turn signal/dimmer switch) and have to pay $30-50 for a new one. I'd rather just pay the $5 to put in a relay.
k67p67 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
matadoramerican wrote:

That sounds simple enough.  Quick one regarding the switch: having connected the wire that is intended to connect to the low beam to the parking lights instead, will leaving the switch that came with the fogs in the on position allow the fogs to turn off when the lights are turned off at the factory column mounted switch.

Oh and can you tell me where the parking light wire is?

Paul

Yes, the fogs will turn on/off whenever your parking lights are on/off. No sure where your parking light wire is. You could tap it in the engine compartment, at the fuse panel, or at the steering column.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic