the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 Ram Diesel Remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rayacain90 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
I'm stuck now...
I have the RS and XK09 wired up as the instructions say.
I still get no attempt to crank however when I try to remote start. I'm not sure on two of the wires on the heavy Gauge relay satellite though.
H/1 PURPLE -- Starter output to starter (starter side)
H/2 GREEN -- Starter input from ignition switch (key side)
The 2008 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel has a VT/BR wire that all the websites and the manual says is used as the 2nd starter/MUX wire. It comes out of the ignition connector and goes back into the immobilizer connection above the key cylinder. So, im not 100% sure which is the ignition side and which is the starter side. Right now I have the GREEN wire going into the ignition module and the PURPLE going into the immobilizer.
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
I think I posted that as you replied to the last one.
Bulldog Security called me and asked for the vehicle info so they could flash it. So I assume it has the right one on it.
I am trying to get it going using the D2D connection.
The VT/BR MUX wire is a negative output. I need to turn that into a positive output correct? The XK09 instructions say do not connect the yellow and brown wire (ignition and 12v) if there is no 12v starter wire on pin 4. Well, my ignition connector doesn’t match exactly to their instructions but I don’t have a 12v starter wire, unless it’s referring to the MUX wire. So I didn’t hook those two wires up.
Is there a way to verify it has the correct firmware on the XK09?
mscguy 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mscguy
Just throwing this out there, but have you connected H/3 and H/6 on the heavy gauge harness? If you need a hardwired ignition connection to the vehicle using The Heavy gauge H/5 Pink, isn't that power coming from one of those 2 Fused leads?
As for your MUX wire, I don't see any polarity designation on the XK09 diagram, and ready remote shows your mux wire as a (-) anyway. I would assume the correct firmware would account for this.
Also, at this point, I wouldn't even connect your starter purple and green wires at all. You don't have a dedicated starter wire to use them on anyway. I may be wrong on that, but maybe Kreg can correct me.
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
Hmmm, so you are saying don't use H/1 and H/2 at all?
I do have H/3 and H/6 connected as well. All the heavy gauge wires are connected currently.
I'll try not using the starter wires and see how that goes.
mscguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mscguy
Also, did you connect your Neutral Safety wire?
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2016 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
Yeah, that's grounded.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2016 at 5:39 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357

Yes, MSCGUY is correct.  The only output wire on the relay satellite pack you need in D2D is the Pink Ignition 1 output.

But you still need to give the relay pack +12V input power.  The install guide doesn't list exactly which pins do what, but
you can combine all 3 +12V input wires ( H/3, H/6, H/8 ) into one wire with one 15 amp fuse and connect that to a suitable
+12V power source.  With your truck and its' unique ignition wiring, you really can't use the Starter Kill and Anti-Grind
functions of the H/1 and H/2 Starter wires.  Don't try to connect them.  All you need is Ignition and the PURPLE / Brown
Starter MUX wire to run that truck.  The XK09 handles the PURPLE / Brown Starter MUX wire, so no connections to it from
the relay pack.  As a re-cap, on the Heavy Gauge wires from the relay pack, the only wires used / connected are the
Pink, Red, Red, RED / White.  All the rest, Purple, Green, Orange, Pink/White are NOT used and NOT connected.

The only way to verify the firmware loaded onto the XK09 is with the XKLoader2 cable.  You can find them on-line for

under $30.

Beside the Neutral Safety wire, did you connect the Viper's Brake wire to the truck?

Soldering is fun!
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2016 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
I have the +12v wires (H/3, H/6, H/8) all connected to a power source straight off the battery. I'll disconnect the starter wires from the relay pack. That makes sense why you wouldn't use them after MSCGUY mentioned it:)
I have the brake interrupt connected and it is working great to shut down the remote start as it keeps cycling through trying to start it.
It's the MUX wire that is confusing me. The Avital instructions say cut that wire and one end goes to the green heavy gauge wire and the other goes to the purple on. Since I am not using those do I NOT cut that way and just splice the MUX wire from the XK09 into it?
I'm confident that the other wires are connected correctly with the exception of those unnecessary connections on the relay terminal and the PURPLE / Brown MUX wire.
I'll focus on that area today.
rayacain90 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote rayacain90
Also on the immobilizer I only have to make two connections, one to the CAN BUS HIGH and one to CAN BUS LOW. I measured the voltage on both of these and one is what I saw on all the other data connections (5v). The other is .5v. Is that what is means by high and low? Because if that's the case I have them backwards, however I have them connected as the instructions and the FSM say. Could they be swapped?
I have connected all wires as you guys mentioned now I am working on getting the XK09 to talk to the RS which doesn't seem to be happening properly.
I go by the instructions to reset the XK09 module and when I plug it back it the LED goes solid for a few seconds and then goes out and I cant get it to do anything after that. I insert the key, turn it to on and wait but get nothing.
Also, could low battery voltage effect the starting system? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I can start it with a key. It's somewhat a weak crank but it will start. I have been getting a check engine light for low battery voltage though. Could the RS trying to do it be to much to crank the starter if the batteries are getting weak? I have it set to a 15 second delay and it seems fine while it waits. No dimming lights or anything.
mscguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2016 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mscguy
Don't cut the PURPLE / brown. Just connect to it in parallel.
I can understand why the starter cutoff is confusing when you read the Avital directions. Most vehicles have an actual wire whose sole purpose is for the starter, and it's pretty cut and dry.
You have a wire that doesn't actually do anything, except connect to a computer that will make different things happen depending on the resistance it sees.   In your case, it is a starter wire, accessory, and key sense.   The xk09 wire will show those different resistances to the computer to tell it what to turn on.
If you really want to have a starter kill, you can find the starter solenoid wire (assuming you have one somewhere) and interupt that one, but I wouldn't worry about that right now.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic