the12volt.com spacer
icon

Worst whine Ever in 40 years

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2016 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kenwood_nut
forbidden wrote:
Have you read the sticky titled "What is a proper ground"?
I'll read it right now. Thanks!
pegleg1960 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pegleg1960
Your engine block grounding is weak and that is why you're getting the whine. You should add a couple of good quality grounding straps and/or do the big 3. If that doesn't get it I would be surprised. Whining is most often associated with some cabling issue. Next to good connections, there is NOTHING more important than good grounding, especially when it comes to audio.
Pegleg Charlie
Builder-Charlie Cannon Subwoofer Enclosures and general troublemaker at
LMMFAO Corp.(LOL)
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2016 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kenwood_nut
pegleg1960 wrote:
Whining is most often associated with some cabling issue.
NEVER heard THAT theory. In fact, everything I've read says that whine is most often associated with a grounding issue. Thanks for the tip anyway! Like the Administrator also suggested, I'm going to ground the alternator and engine. Just been super busy lately, so I've just been putting up with the whine for now. Annoying as heck, but tolerable. Don't hear it with the volume up.
As I mentioned earlier, I've regrounded the amp and head unit and even the equalizer, PLUS I grounded the RCA's at the deck outputs (which took away MOST of the whine). Even re-ran the head unit & EQ power wires directly to the battery with no change. So yeah, the only thing I really have NOT tried is add engine grounds or a better alternator ground. Several of my car stereo enthusiast friends have suggested and RFI capacitor, but I still haven't tried that either. The thing I find most odd is how with all the power things AND air conditioning in this car, it certainly must have a bigger alternator than the last car, which had no whine. So I would assume that this Civic alternator would be more stout. Guess not.
I'll certainly let you all know WHAT it is that remedies the whine when I conquer it. I do appreciate all the suggestions.
pegleg1960 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2016 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote pegleg1960
Ineffective grounding is a cabling issue. It's a lack of sufficient ground cabling that's causing your issue.
I have around 20 feet of 0/0 gauge cable with solid copper ring connectors that weigh about 40 grams each. I ran the big three, and also additional grounds from frame rails to chassis, bed to chassis, and bed to frame rail.
Worst whine Ever in 40 years - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.
Pegleg Charlie
Builder-Charlie Cannon Subwoofer Enclosures and general troublemaker at
LMMFAO Corp.(LOL)
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kenwood_nut
WHINE 100% GONE!!!! What I did this time? Grounded equalizer to head unit chassis (per MECP Study Guide), grounded h.u. RCA outs to h.u. chassis, and moved RCA's going from deck to equalizer about an inch. Not sure exactly which step did the trick, but ALL WHINE IS NOW GONE! I'm smiling again!
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2016 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kenwood_nut
MY ASSUMPTIONS WERE CORRECT! All this time, it WAS the head unit causing the static and whine! Yep, after trying different ground points, fatter cables, grounding the RCA's to the deck body, grounding the equalizer to the deck body, buying the best RCA's I could find, and trying every other trick in the book... I just bought a new head unit, and ALL whine is 100% GONE! Even with air conditioning blasting and headlights on! No matter what I turn on or try, NO WHINE. So yeah, it WAS the head unit. I kept thinking it might be, because moving all the same equipment from one car to another and suddenly having whine made no sense at all. By the way, the "new" deck is actually a gently used Kenwood Excelon KDC-X799 that I picked up for $70 on OfferUp. Only problem with this deck is that I can barely see the display during the day! Oh well, I'm just happy to have the whine gone!
Page of 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic