the12volt.com spacer
icon

No hood pin, can't program

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sammith 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sammith
I'm trying to get into programming mode on my NS-2250 starter. There is no hood switch and when I try to press the button on the module it doesn't do anything. This model doesn't have another button on the antenna to enter programming mode. The starter itself works fine otherwise. Ideas? Thanks!
pjr
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 06, 2016 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
You should never install a remote start without the hood switch. It may be your hands you lose if working on the vehicle and somebody picks up the remote and wonders "What does this button do if I press it twice?"
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2016 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote smokeman1
Should be a grey wire on a 5 pin connector for the hood pin. You should connect it properly for safety and your programming needs.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
sammith 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2016 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sammith
I know the safety issues regarding the hood switch, but it's optional on this model since there is an alternate connection using one of the connectors (this was installed long before I owned the van so the wiring is to be confirmed).
Safety concerns aside, I've tried jumping the 2-pin connector on the module where the hood switch would go to simulate pressing an releasing it to enter programming mode, but no luck.
I'll check to make sure that the gray wire is properly connected and if not I'll try finding a hood switch to install and try that, but it seems odd to me that jumping the hood switch connector wouldn't have worked and even pressing the alternate programming button on the module itself doesn't work either. Can someone somehow disable entering programming mode? Thanks
pjr
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2016 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sparkie
The remote starter won't go into programming mode unless it sees a ground signal on the gray hood pin wire. It is unlikely that it was connected to any wiring for a factory hood switch. As mentioned, the hood pin is for safety which should never be overlooked. It's a simple thing to install.
sparky
sammith 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2016 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sammith
sparkie wrote:
The remote starter won't go into programming mode unless it sees a ground signal on the gray hood pin wire.
Hmm. I never thought of it that way. I always thought the gray wire was an alternate for the hood switch, but if they work together and it's not connected, that would explain why jumping the pins wasn't working either.
I'll try connecting the wire to ground (if it isn't already) and jump the pins for the hood switch to see if I can get into programming at least until I go out and buy a hood switch.
Seems odd that the installation manual would deem the hood switch as "optional on certain models". I assumed that meant that some vehicles have a factory valet switch and that the gray wire would connect to that somehow.
Thanks for the info, I'll try that and report back with my findings.
pjr

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic