the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5806 for enclosed trailer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p023879 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote p023879
OK I've searched and cant seem to find an exact answer to this. I want to install a viper 5806 for an enclosed trailer. Trailer already has a 12 volt supply with a solar panel to charge it. Wiring seems fairly basic except for the ignition input. To change any settings you need to cycle the ignition so I'm thinking just a toggle switch from the battery to the pink? wire? Just going to use the shock sensor as I cant imagine anyone breaking in without setting that off but what else needs to be connected for the alarm to work? I'm thinking just power and the ignition input for programming.
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 641
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2016 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
It also has to see a door open to program. So use a double pole switch and use one pole for ignition, the other to ground the (-) door trigger.
You could use magnetic switches on the doors for additional protection from a door being forced open that doesn't set off the shock sensor.
p023879 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2016 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote p023879
So just to confirm, it is the pink wire on the remote starter plug that is used for the ignition input? Nothing else needed for connections except power and ground?
dairyboy3 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dairyboy3
Yes the pink wire is ignition input on the heavy gauge remote start harness. Hook that up to a switch with the positive door trigger input (small gauge violet wire) in case you need to do any programming.
p023879 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2016 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote p023879
OK it seems that I got everything hooked up and working. Biggest problem is the range. Seems to only work about 100 yards away instead of the advertised 1 mile. I mounted the antenna inside on the roof but I'm thinking an enclosed aluminum trailer is just blocking the signal. Is there any way of boosting the signal? I was thinking of extending the antenna wire and placing it in the plastic roof vent but will that help?
mcnugget 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2016 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mcnugget
p023879 wrote:
OK it seems that I got everything hooked up and working. Biggest problem is the range. Seems to only work about 100 yards away instead of the advertised 1 mile. I mounted the antenna inside on the roof but I'm thinking an enclosed aluminum trailer is just blocking the signal. Is there any way of boosting the signal? I was thinking of extending the antenna wire and placing it in the plastic roof vent but will that help?
I'm not exactly sure for the 5806 but the 5900 with the same 1 Mile remote, you can disable frequency hopping. That increases the range. Otherwise, you could cut off the plug for the remote wire on either end and wire it to a coaxial connector and run thin coax up to the antenna. Coax is going to give you a cleaner signal and increase the distance you can run it. Either way, you have to get that antenna outside. If you knew how, you could also wire on a different antenna completely.
p023879 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2016 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote p023879
Ok and how would I use coax? The antenna is part of the valet module and has 5 wires. Is there a specific wire that is just the antenna? I'll add a small cell phone of whip antenna outside if it's possible.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2016 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote racerjames76
I would bet the aluminum is acting as a faraday cage. Blocking the RF signals. We have put outdoor boxes on the front of trailers before for similar purposes. Mount it with a gasket and then mount the antenna outside the trailer inside the plastic box. Could find something similar to mount on the roof too..
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
mcnugget 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2016 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote mcnugget
p023879 wrote:
Ok and how would I use coax? The antenna is part of the valet module and has 5 wires. Is there a specific wire that is just the antenna? I'll add a small cell phone of whip antenna outside if it's possible.
You've got your valet and status LED on the antenna but they still have separate plugs. It should still be a 2 pin plug for the antenna. You could connect it to something like this:
http://www.americanradiosupply.com/bnc-to-dual-twin-binding-post-adapter/
Then run a coax the distance you need and get an antenna that has a coax connector on it. The coax cable will give you a higher signal to noise ratio and allow you to run greater distance than just copper wire.
p023879 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2016 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote p023879
Nope. Single 6 pin plug for everythingViper 5806 for enclosed trailer -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic